Bad Electrician - Finding Errors.....is this another bad one?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just been going over some work done by an electrician a year ago.....

He is still a popular electrician in the area.....and he seemed to know his stuff when I asked some questions that I knew the answer to, as a kind of test.

I think I got swayed by his friendly demeanour.....so I went with him..but I soon realised afterwards....I had been done over.....but...such was the position I was in at the time....I did not have the energy to argue. I paid he left.

I should have made some posts on here and got advice....

Anyway...going over his work....I am putting some new sockets on. Swapping out basic plastic for chrome.

But....I have noticed.....that he did not put any earths to the back boxes.....

It depresses me just thinking about it....

But, I assume this is a big no no.......

Also, no grommets on most of them....other than one I saw him do and asked him if he was putting a grommet on.

This guy still gets a lot of work in the area.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
IIRC as long as the backbox has at least one fixed lug (most do) and the accessory has an earth connection to the screwholes (most do) then it is deemed to be adequately earthed by the faceplate screws and a link is not required.

Regarding grommets As I understand it the regs require that "A wiring system shall be selected and erected to avoid installation, use and maintenance, damage to the sheath or insulation of cables and their terminations." but they don't explicitly require grommets.

Anyway...going over his work....I am putting some new sockets on. Swapping out basic plastic for chrome.
But....I have noticed.....that he did not put any earths to the back boxes.....
It depresses me just thinking about it....
But, I assume this is a big no no.......
No, not a no-no. It is fine.
As long as the sockets are earthed all is well.

When the sockets are fitted and the power is on, the back-boxes are not exposed-conductive-parts and will in any case be earthed by the screws.
Having said that, a lot of electricians like to earth the back-boxes as well but it is not a requirement.

Also, no grommets on most of them....other than one I saw him do and asked him if he was putting a grommet on.
Ok. You have him on that one.
You can if you want, fit grommets without disconnecting all the wires by cutting the grommets and fitting them around the cable(s).

Don’t get stressed about it.

Earthing back boxes isn’t required.

Grommets weren’t used in the 60s. Fixed wiring doesn’t move

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys....not getting stressed about it.....just having "annoyed with myself" flashbacks.

I know this electrician was not great....I just caught myself thinking he was much worse than I thought.

Of course...I should have realised that the screw connections makes a connection to the back box. This one does anyway.

And I was thinking of doing as you suggested @EFLImpudence, cutting a grommet and slipping it in.

Anyone not using grommets should be shot. (Obviously not where there are stuffing glands; male or female adaptors; bushes and couplers; flanged couplers; SWA glands etc.)

Thanks guys....not getting stressed about it.....just having "annoyed with myself" flashbacks.

I know this electrician was not great....I just caught myself thinking he was much worse than I thought.

Of course...I should have realised that the screw connections makes a connection to the back box. This one does anyway.

And I was thinking of doing as you suggested @EFLImpudence, cutting a grommet and slipping it in.

A dab of superglue will hold it in place

Grommets are not actually required if the cables are plastered in and can not move, although it’s good practice to use them.

Anyone not using grommets should be shot. (Obviously not where there are stuffing glands; male or female adaptors; bushes and couplers; flanged couplers; SWA glands etc.)

Why would you shoot someone for not doing something that is not required?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back