electrician won't issue electrical installation cert -help?!

Becky

The electrician who carried out the work should have a copy of the original Electrical Installation Certificate (EIC), as he is obliged to keep a record of all his work.

"The person or persons responsible for the design, construction, inspection and testing of the installation shal, as appropriate, give the person ordering the work a Certificate which takes into account their respective responsibilties for the safety of that installation... (para phrased from BS7671).

I can't see his problem with issuing a copy of EIC dated for when the work was completed.

If he was as alleged with NICIEC and on the competent persons register he should have notified the job through them and they would inform local authority.

Sponsored Links
How much was the original work?

Reason I ask, is that I have bumped in to a variety of so called electricians recently- all minor works jobs, data jobs, CCTV and telephone stuff.

Comparing their works to mine, and the paper work is just so chalk and cheese.

Although illegal, there are electricians out there that will do work in domestics in scope of Part P, but without producing any paperwork, no warranties and as for an EIC forget it.

If you paid the guy under rate, then he got the benefit of the work and you got the benefit of the lesser cost (but all the hassle).

A PIR should cover the job, but I would be very surprised if that doesn't lead to further remedial works to take the job to current requirements.

If the bloke is a 6 gun tooting cowboy you can expect:-

No bonding 10mm earths for gas and water mains
Absence of correct sized tails between CU and DNO connection
No isolation between DNO and CU
No RCD coverage for sockets with the potential to have leads taken outside the premises
Re-connection of antiquated switches, wiring and sockets

The list could go on (and on and on).

So how much did you pay him, were you exploited or did you both gain from the work?

because he won't have asked the DNO to supply one, and just pulled the fuse and re-used the old undersized tails..

Sponsored Links
ColJack said:
because he won't have asked the DNO to supply one, and just pulled the fuse and re-used the old undersized tails..
Firstly, I still don't understand why not requesting a new isolator is the hallmark of a 'cowboy'.

Secondly, I don't understand why you think that re-using the tails is the alternative to requesting an isolator. Granted, he'd have to pull the fuse, but having done that there is no reason to use undersized tails.

I have not requested, nor installed a DP isolator in the tails of a domestic CU ever.

Does that make me a cowboy?

RF Lighting said:
I have not requested, nor installed a DP isolator in the tails of a domestic CU ever.
I fitted one once - on the first ever CU change that I did. Never since.

Does that make me a cowboy?
According to Chri5 and ColJack, it does.

Want some of my beans, RF?

Ditto, but lets not get off message

Becky - I often do work in Maidenhead - I'm in Henley, and could do a PIR if thats the way forward for you. Check first with your buyer/solicitor. You can send me a PM if you want to. click on my name - email address is in my profile.

If the indemnity is £150 that might be the better, possibly cheaper, option...

Firstly, I still don't understand why not requesting a new isolator is the hallmark of a 'cowboy'.

not at all.. but from what i've read, if you tell the DNO you want the fuses pulled they come and do it for you, many fit an isolator so that they can re-energise then and there without the need for a further visit to re-energise after you're done..
so no isolator would lead me to an understandable conclusion that the guy cut the seals and pulled the fuse himself..

Secondly, I don't understand why you think that re-using the tails is the alternative to requesting an isolator. Granted, he'd have to pull the fuse, but having done that there is no reason to use undersized tails.

to put his own tails in he would have to either cut the seals on the meter to terminate them, or install a henley block which would leave the original tails in place....

And cutting the seals on the meter gets them a lot more interested than cutting the ones on the fuse...

An indemnity policy is simply insurance for the new owners against prosecution by building control for lack of certification.
If you buy a house, and the previous owner had broken the building regulations, or 3rd part had, could you be prosecuted??

And how does insurance work regarding prosecution? Pay for a lawyer? You can be banged up for breaking the Building Regulations - what does the insurance do for you then - pay you so much per night inside?

The electrician who carried out the work should have a copy of the original Electrical Installation Certificate (EIC), as he is obliged to keep a record of all his work.

"The person or persons responsible for the design, construction, inspection and testing of the installation shal, as appropriate, give the person ordering the work a Certificate which takes into account their respective responsibilties for the safety of that installation... (para phrased from BS7671).

I can't see his problem with issuing a copy of EIC dated for when the work was completed.
You're assuming he worked to BS7671....

You're assuming he worked to BS7671....

OK BAS but let's not go down that road again or we'll be accused of misleading.

An indemnity policy is simply insurance for the new owners against prosecution by building control for lack of certification.

I think there has been a misunderstanding here when Professional Indemnity Insurance mentioned when a PIR was suggested

You can get some kind of insurance related to liability re building regs, but I don't know what it does (why would I ever need it :LOL: ).

I assume it covers you against civil actions by your buyer if he finds you've used a papier mache lintel over the patio doors you put in.

I would also expect that for a buyer to benefit from it he'd have to sue you?

If I were Becky's buyer I'd rather have a PIR than the knowledge that they had insurance to pay up if it was needed.

Actually - I'd rather have £500 off the price, and I'd check the electrics and sort anything out myself, but there ya go.

There is some talk about these policies here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=68270

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=403573

it looks like they might be in the same class as mortage guarantee insurances, and extended appliance warranties.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back