electrician won't issue electrical installation cert -help?!

ColJack said:
...from what i've read, if you tell the DNO you want the fuses pulled they come and do it for you, many fit an isolator so that they can re-energise then and there without the need for a further visit to re-energise after you're done.
so no isolator would lead me to an understandable conclusion that the guy cut the seals and pulled the fuse himself.
Makes sense - I understand. But not all DNOs fit an isolator in those circumstances.

Secondly, I don't understand why you think that re-using the tails is the alternative to requesting an isolator. Granted, he'd have to pull the fuse, but having done that there is no reason to use undersized tails.
to put his own tails in he would have to either cut the seals on the meter to terminate them, or install a henley block which would leave the original tails in place....
OK, I get it now. Thanks for explaining.

Sponsored Links
Guys, I'm just back from the pub. :)

I've got a feeling that we ought to try and get a DIYnot heavy forum sorted so we can fight with each other separately.

The way things are going Mr and Ms DIY punter wont come here because all they will see is us spitting at each other and not helping with their seemingly simple dilemma.

If we dont cool it this board will end up like ATT. :cry:

Step 1 - start ignoring all the tw@s who object to simple answers to simple questions. Let them try and start a fight in an empty room.

Absolutely.

I just wonder how we can create a virtual empty room for them to romp in.

Time for DIYheavy.com maybe?

Sponsored Links
diy6bey1.jpg

Hmmm...I'm wondering what the shop would sell....oor maybe it should be changed to shed? ;)

re: indemnity insurance

ban-all-sheds said:
I assume it covers you against civil actions by your buyer if he finds you've used a papier mache lintel over the patio doors you put in.

I would also expect that for a buyer to benefit from it he'd have to sue you?

I'm not exactly sure what you are covered for to be honest.

All I know is that the policy stops with the new owner, not the seller, and is a legal insurance - so perhaps it pays legal fees in case of prosecution etc.

If it shuts up your / the sellers solicitor then its served its purpose.

We had to have a indemnity policy (paid for by the seller) when we recently bought a house. The owner had a kitchen refit done including new double glazing and electrics. They had no certs (electrical or Part L for windows), and they had no official letters from building control. Our solicitor pushed through an indemnity policy on our behalf, which we now hold in our file. I very much doubt I would be sent to prision for work a previous owner has carried out so I expect it covers legal fees.

And unless you die from the work, I very much doubt that the council will go after the previous owner for non-notification. I'll bet the cost of the indemnity policy was less than the notification fees...

Note on indemnity insurance. You cannot get this if you have contacted the LA in anyway regarding your installation, even if it's just an enquiry - they will usually keep this on record.

OK - that's cleared a few things up.

So if I were Becky's buyer, and my solicitor got her to stump up for an indemnity policy, that would pay out if the LABC decided to come after me as the owner of the property for a contravention of the Building Regulations.

And if all that was wrong was that the work hadn't been notified, they really are not going to do that.

But if the work contravened P1, I think I'd want to know about it and to get it fixed before it caused me grief. So like I said - if I were Becky's buyer I'd rather have a PIR or £500 off the price.

From Becky's POV, if her buyer will stop fretting if she pays £50 for insurance rather than several times that for a PIR, which carries a risk of highlighting work that needs doing, she's quids in.

Can't help feeling that a buyer is being poorly advised by his solicitor if he settles for insurance instead of a PIR when it comes to non-certified electrical work....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back