Electrican acting unethically?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So we just had some minor electrical works done. No new circuits just converted the conservatory to an extension and thus that was rewired and a couple of new sockets added. Nothing major.

electrician insisted on a new box. Said he would not issue a completion certificate unless we did. I didn't really think it was necessary but he began shouting and screaming at us and after a few days we relented and said OK.

Now we have replacing our kitchen. I did ask the original electrician to quote but I felt his quote was high so went with another.
Now the original electrician paid a visit to my house and said if I don't show him a completion certificate he will void the one for the house. Again he was shouting and screaming and hurling some insults - mainly towards my wife.

What a nice chap eh?

The way I look at this is - what business of this is his!. Seriously. If I did the work one year from now would he come round and do the same?

It seems like he is annoyed I found someone else and just plays this card.

Let's just say that I am very angry and wished I'd never set eyes on him.

What do you all think about this?

Sponsored Links
Yeah totally. I don't know why we carried on with him.

I would have been happy not doing the box and telling him to go away and never speak with us again. I dunno. I guess we have hope sometimes.

Now I've blocked him and if he comes round I'll call the cops.

Totally zero ethics and screwing people over. And he ain't the only one. Another chap came over and went on and on about bonding and this and that and wanted to change my box just for working on the kitchen. I told him to go away. Did speak to some recently that seemed a lot more flexible on things...

We should have taken our time on this really -but our builder was moaning about delays...

I would complain to his licencing body if I could.

Completion certificate is issued by the LABC often on the strength of the installation certificate but is not issued by the electrician.

The compliance certificate is issued by the scheme provider, again on strength of the installation certificate.

An electrician can't revoke either.

Sponsored Links
Presuming that he will than go to the council and submit a complaint?

I'll put forward that all that happened was sockets got moved. Nothing new was created.

Anyway the man is a jerk.

He is full of it.
As above, the certificates you already have can't be voided. Track down your local Trading Standards, let them know.
If you have any sort of paperwork from him you can use the name & address to search the accreditation organisations.
And call Plod if he contacts you again.

Yeah totally. I don't know why we carried on with him.

I would have been happy not doing the box and telling him to go away and never speak with us again. I dunno. I guess we have hope sometimes.

Now I've blocked him and if he comes round I'll call the cops.

Totally zero ethics and screwing people over. And he ain't the only one. Another chap came over and went on and on about bonding and this and that and wanted to change my box just for working on the kitchen. I told him to go away. Did speak to some recently that seemed a lot more flexible on things...

We should have taken our time on this really -but our builder was moaning about delays...

I would complain to his licencing body if I could.
Main protective bonding must be adequate before any works, regardless of how minor, are carried out. As for the distribution board we can't really comment without sufficient information. At a guess RCD protection was not present where it would now be required. So neither of these are optional if works are to be carried out.

Why did he pay you a visit after you had the kitchen done??

Just ignore him.

If he doesn't leave you alone, you will have to tell him to p1ss off.

For the work he did without the box you would not need a "completion certificate" anyway

I will be complaining to his licencing body.

The existing unit had RCD protection so no need for a new fuse box. It's a crappy scam run by those that wanna rip people off.
All he literally did was move sockets around, replace halogen lights with LED ones and move two light switches.

I will also find any place where I can put on a bad review for him.

trades people like that is what gives all tradespeople a bad name. The sooner he's out of business the better.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back