Basin refuses to drain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our bathroom basin sink just refused yesterday morning to drain away. After pulling apart all the units I managed to get to the trap, cleaned all the gunk, I then pulled apart all the pipes elbows etc and cleaned huge amounts of goo.

All that was left was a short run (1 metre) to the waste stench downpipe. I poked a rod into it and brought out some more gunk but couldn't clean the last 12 inches as the waste pipe had a bend in it.

Anyway, thinking that I had cleared all the nasty blockages, I reconnected all the pipes and turned on the tap. To my horror, the sink again filled up then refused to drain again.

I'm guessing my issue is in the last 12 inches that I couldn't get to.

Plus the straight connector is leaking from both ends, is this due to the water clogged up here, I have pushed it on very tight, but it still drips.

You can see in the image attached the connector that leaks and the bend in the pipe to the waste pipe.

I'm hoping somebody has some advice on what to do next as I'm stumped and annoyed that my bathroom now looks like a war zone.

Is there a chemical that will make its way to the blockage or do I need to get a plumber.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_20151124_202512.jpg
    IMG_20151124_202512.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 330
Sponsored Links
Try poking something smaller and more flexible along that last section, a plumbers 'snake' or a length of curtain wire might do it. I'd avoid chemicals, never quite know whats going to happen, they can melt more than just the blockage.... :eek:

Once you've got it clear, replace that leaking connector with a standard compression waste coupler. http://www.screwfix.com/p/universal-compression-waste-straight-couplers-32mm/15490

brought out some more gunk but couldn't clean the last 12 inches as the waste pipe had a bend in it.

I'm guessing my issue is in the last 12 inches that I couldn't get to.

P
Thanks in advance.
Glad you posted a pic= that bend should take a wire easy , it must be solid in there ! I wonder if the bathroom was re tiled in the past . I've seen grout residue cause trouble in straight pipes - from when it's put down the sink and tiler thinks it has washed away.

Thank you for your advice guys, motivated for round 3 tonight, family fed up of washing using bath taps

Sponsored Links
Awesome guys, pays bought for £5 and fixed in 10 minutes. Basin flows like a fast flowing river again now. Just need to reassemble the bathroom... Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back