bathroom - notifiable work ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm doing some work in my bathroom, but would like to be sure about what is notifiable or not, can anyone help ? Whilst I'm not a spark by trade I did an elec apprenticeship 15years ago and got a 2381 a year or so ago. I do not want to pay £££ for building control to inspect - if that is the case I would rather not do the work at all !

these are all in the bathroom: are these notifiable ?

1) replacing a radiator in bathroom with towel radiator (not electrically heated one), reconnecting the supplimentary bonding is this notifiable

2) moving a shaver socket approx 1/2m to the right, no additional cable necessary as there seems to be plenty of flex in the cavity wall

3) installing a mirror with a built-in light and shaver socket (replacing the existing shaver socket)

4) replacing the ceiling pull light switch with a chrome pull light switch

5) replacing ceiling light fitting with another light fitting (compliant with zone 3 as necessary for it's location)

thanks in advance
Mart

Sponsored Links
:(

Sorry but all electrical work carried out within a bathroom is deemed notifiable. :(

Ed.

However if you are competant and want the work done, it's YOUR house :LOL: ( only my personal opinion)

Actually it's not. Replacements are not notifiable even within a bathroom and neither is installing/upgrading supplementary bonding. So 1, 4 + 5 is fine.

However 2 + 3 is notifiable work.

2 and 3 are not notifiable if outside the zones as defined in BS7671. The standards of work specified in BS7671 still apply though, and the equipment has to be suitable for the conditions where it is installed. So it's also very dependant on how big your bathroom is.

Sponsored Links
Be careful when u do this one
2) moving a shaver socket approx 1/2m to the right, no additional cable necessary as there seems to be plenty of flex in the cavity wall

The cable must run in the approved zones (vertical or horizontal from the accessory).

If it doesnt then it must be more than 50mm from the surface or run in earthed metal conduit.

many thanks for the responses !

the bathroom is small 2m x 2m square and 2.2m high

looking at zone diagrams the radiator, shaver socket, and light switch fall under zone 3, does this mean it is ok or does it have to fall outside zone 3 to be non-notifiable ?

the ceiling light is in zone 2 (within .6m of bath side)

the shaver socket is about 10cm left of a hollow vertical metal partition (would this also be used as conduit ?) and the cables run diagonally upwards for approx 15cm-ish into this metal partition thing and up to the ceiling.

Be careful when u do this one

The cable must run in the approved zones (vertical or horizontal from the accessory).

If it doesnt then it must be more than 50mm from the surface or run in earthed metal conduit.

....Unless you install it to the standards of the future, i.e. 17th edition where I believe provided the circuit is protected by an rcd, the "old" safe zones no longer required !

But we are still in 16th edition land. So 17th does not apply until mid next year and it hasnt been ratified yet.
Even then cables must run in zones!!

If you can see into the future please email me the winning numbers for the lottery.

1 3 15 27 32 44 bonus will be 7..

now if those numbers come up i'll be extremely depressed... unless you put them on of course, then i'll be expecting a 5 percent fee... :)

But we are still in 16th edition land. So 17th does not apply until mid next year and it hasnt been ratified yet.
Even then cables must run in zones!!

If you can see into the future please email me the winning numbers for the lottery.

No I can't see into the future. But I have read the draft copy of the 17th, have you ? And as you seem to be a gambler I wouldn't bet against BS7671:2008 beingf published !

You can work from the 16th or 17th Edition when published in January 2008.
to July 2008, then it will be 17th only.

17th Edition all circuits in bathroom on Rcd

You can work from the 16th or 17th Edition when published in January 2008.
to July 2008, then it will be 17th only.

17th Edition all circuits in bathroom on Rcd

like many people I have read the RFC document. Its not in force yet and is still subject to change.

equitum
If you do work to the draft 17th edition, how will you fill in a certificate for the work? It says on there that you confirm that the work has been done to Bs7671 2001 amended to 2004. Or are you making up your own certs that say your work complies with BS7671 2008??? :?:

The 17th Edition will be published and available in January 2008 and will not be a draft, it will be the full edition

New certificates from the NICEIC will be available by the time the new edition is published.

Old style certificates will then be limited stock.

It will up to you what certificate you use, depending on which edition you work to until July 2008 then you will have no choice.

It was the same with older editions 12,13,14,15.

Sure but he said
....Unless you install it to the standards of the future, i.e. 17th edition where I believe provided the circuit is protected by an rcd, the "old" safe zones no longer required !

Does the 17th really say it is OK to run a cable diagonally across a wall if it protected by an RCD, I dont think so!

Sure but he said

Does the 17th really say it is OK to run a cable diagonally across a wall if it protected by an RCD, I don't think so!

Well I read the whole thread again, and I cannot see the word "diagonally" mentioned, other than in your post !!!!!

I think the previous post was in reference to the bathroom zones 1,2,3

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back