bbu spillage test

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi. im doing my acs next week and would like to claer up some points before i go in.

spillage test boiler in back boiler unit? put smoke match in combustion chamber so testing that poc actually goi9ng through heatexchanger up into flue? wouldnt the flames just burn out the smoke?

just curious but why when lighting a pilot do alot of boilers ask to turn thermostat to zero and switch off electrics at mains? not in acs i know but curious. hope you can help

Sponsored Links
I thought the whole point of ACS was to test comptence in areas of gas work you already under take? Or has it changed that much in five years?

"just curious but why when lighting a pilot do alot of boilers ask to turn thermostat to zero and switch off electrics at mains?" Just have a think about that one........... what happens when all controls are calling for heat when thermocoulple activates the main solenoid? :rolleyes: Maybe try it when you take your controls section of the exam, am sure someone in the family can paint you some eyebrows on. :LOL:

Scary stuff :eek:

Surely the 1st thing you learn about spillage testing is that you follow MIs in regards where to stick ur smoke match.

Sponsored Links
give the guy a chance, at least he is willing to ask than stick his head in the sand and guess.

i agree 100% on checking MI's for spillage test, which always indicates positon for test, but generic spillage test procedure tells you to test on maximum Heat Input, so on a BBU who always turns boiler burner pressure to max, has the fire on as well then resets boiler burner pressure to load required?

i agree 100% on checking MI's for spillage test, which always indicates positon for test, but generic spillage test procedure tells you to test on maximum Heat Input, so on a BBU who always turns boiler burner pressure to max, has the fire on as well then resets boiler burner pressure to load required?

ill admit i dont, dont see the point. if the bp is changed the spillage test would need to be done again anyway.

On generic testing I never knew the spillage check has to be done on either side of the draught diverter or its a straight referral in acs....well not til the other week anyway.

didn't know that?

But acording to some if the initial smoke test looks like the flying scotsman geting steam up at 5am it's ok to heat the flu and try again.

me i prefer to give it no second chances, when all the poc's are coming back into the room at any time I am not going to trust it.

give the guy a chance, at least he is willing to ask than stick his head in the sand and guess.

I didnt intend to pull the guy down, would never do it intensionally. Point am getting at is, who's teachin, or giving these chaps/ladies (politically correct these days :) ) the background training to enable them to even get to the stage where a test centre says "yes you've done enough to take your exam" when the simplist of test's reqires outside input. First rule we were always thought was go by MI instructions. If not then the next best thing is the terrior or viper book. But surely every test centre has the MI's for all it's appliances????? :confused:

you are alowd the odd wiff of smoke, like this :!:
Fluefailure.jpg

Last one I tested failed the flue flow test so bad it set the fire alarm off in the whole block of flats :oops:

At least it proved to the landlady that it had failed miserably.

She is now the proud owner of a brilliant ATAG combi ;)

if you get a flu like that on your practical day during the acs you are expected to fail it.

As for all the other fluing examples at the test centre think on the basis there is something wrong with everything and seven things wrong with some things.

For instance terminals not secured flu too close to combustible material non twin wall in loft space, 90 degree bends off boiler
(but ask for MI's in case they say it's ok) flue pipes laid upside down (hint the arrows don't point to where the boiler is) flue blocks with insufficient fireback sections (needs to be 3) those people who build flues in test centres are right dodgy.

love the telly in the picture.. why is it that in every house where i have to give bad news to the responsible person they have a top of the range flat screen telly and then for the sake of a few quid no heating/ hotwater..

love the telly in the picture.. why is it that in every house where i have to give bad news to the responsible person they have a top of the range flat screen telly and then for the sake of a few quid no heating/ hotwater..

looks like a crt to me, hardly "top of the range"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back