bbu spillage test

That is a standard sized Scarborough TV.

There is actually an inverse phnomena the smaller the room the larger the picture. this phenomenon is inverse to the other ratio grey matter to television size.

AFA priorities go large tv screen sucks out sufficient gray matter hence turning person into a reactive zombie who makes no forward planning but reacts only to failures.

But they do have sufficent forward planning to ensure there are cigs in the pack and credit on the talkmachine so essential for climbing the slipery sloap of ascendency above friends and work mates by ensuring you are evr ready with the cuting remark the sarcastic undermining of the person whose neck they plan to stand on for the ascent.

I so hate trying to do a job to the background noise of the constant undermining of friends and work colleagues via an unending phone conversation to which we are only a party to half.

Better than suffering the horrendous half conversation (aimed entirely at showing off to everyone else on the train, <I have friends to talk to you don't> )on the train to London late night I suppose.

Being a praying man I have so prayed on that train for technology to fail, oh if you only knew how hard I have prayedd for the end of the computer geeks voice chat or the mobilephonealohics loss of signal.

But probably the most anoying one is the coatch from london with the pregnat teenage mother of three by four fathers phone call in blatant diregard of the consideration requested by the driver for what seems like an eternity while such discourse we are subjected to which will never in a million years bring to birth anything positive for the benefit of us herself whoever she is talking to society or the earth.

Sponsored Links
generic spillage test procedure tells you to test on maximum Heat Input, so on a BBU who always turns boiler burner pressure to max, has the fire on as well then resets boiler burner pressure to load required?

Hopefully not forgetting to close all the windows and doors and turning on the extract fans!

Tony

PS
And if you have two BBU/gas fires and a through lounge then you can really get concerned!

hi. im doing my acs next week and would like to claer up some points before i go in.

spillage test boiler in back boiler unit? put smoke match in combustion chamber so testing that poc actually goi9ng through heatexchanger up into flue? wouldnt the flames just burn out the smoke?

just curious but why when lighting a pilot do alot of boilers ask to turn thermostat to zero and switch off electrics at mains? not in acs i know but curious. hope you can help

Smoke match i thought yea should use a smoke bomb

what do yea mean the flames would burn away the smoke you should have the burner removed.

What boilers are these? never heard off this myself

[

what do yea mean the flames would burn away the smoke you should have the burner removed.

You should do both a flow test with the pellet and a spillage test with the match.

However, I suppose that if it passes a spillage test then it will probably pass a flow test.

Tony

Sponsored Links
[

:

You should do both a flow test with the pellet and a spillage test with the match.

However, I suppose that if it passes a spillage test then it will probably pass a flow test.

Tony

:confused: They are, however, 2 completely seperate tests checking completely different things.
A flue flow check is only testing the continuity and integrity of the flue (not the hx) and the spillage is checking the flues ability to remove all the poc's so needs to be done at full rate.

[

:

Tony

:confused: They are, however, 2 completely seperate tests checking completely different things.
A flue flow check is only testing the continuity and integrity of the flue (not the hx) and the spillage is checking the flues ability to remove all the poc's so needs to be done at full rate.

Just wanna clear a few things here

no one is saying how the spillage test is performed on the bbu on my last corgi inspection i was told by the dog that the smoke match should be put around the outside of the bbu this is to test the builders opening the spillage test is done on the bbu by removing the burner light up a blow torch heat up the flue and stick in the smoke bomb, if the HX was cacked up the somke would not get through the fins and it would spill, if this was ok then you would be checking the flue next, you would go upstairs and check bed rooms to see if any old vents are fitted if ok get your head in the attic and check for smoke off the bomb and also go out side and check the terminal.

you would check the fire for spillage but yea dont need the back boiler running has well with a smoke match.

And yea should not have the fire running nither has you should warm it up for 5 mins prior .

Don`t know what is the most frightening Bob for thinking a spillage test is done with a smoke bomb or the corgi inspector who is meant to have told him. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

there is no requirement to test the HE on a back boiler when doing a flue flow test, the clue is in the name, the purpose of the test is to check the integrity and route of the flue to see if it is suitable to fit an appliance, (or to leave an existing one fitted) ie all smoke drawn into chimney only coming out one appropriate terminal not leaking into loft/bedrooms etc,

you would check the fire for spillage but yea dont need the back boiler running has well with a smoke match.

You should do the spillage test with both the fire AND the boiler on in case the flue is partially blocked.

The flue flow test with the pellet not only tests the things mentioned above but also the capability of moving the volume of smoke produced by the pellet. Thats an impostant test!

Tony

The flue flow test with the pellet not only tests the things mentioned above but also the capability of moving the volume of smoke produced by the pellet. Thats an impostant test!

Tony

Impostant in what way Tony?, if it just fails that and passes the spillage check what would you do then?. The important check is that the flue can move the volume of smoke from a match in addition to the pocs from the appliance at full load. ie spillage check

Its an impotent test in the sense that the smoke pellet produces a certain volume of smoke in a given time ( 6 m³ in 30 sec ? ) which is far more than the BBU actually produces.

The spillage test is safety test to ensure that in normal operation the boiler/fire is not spilling POC into the room.

The flue might pass the flow test but still fail the spillage test.

Tony

Acs actually asks for what size bomb to use .
Tony you say close all doors and windows this is not strictly right to do a proper spillage test , it all depends on other factors

True I suppose, in the way they now specify a 3g bomb for a flue pipe and a precast and also now require the doors and windows closed it does seem to be moved more towards a spillage type check than a flue integrity check.

Olski .bomb test always required doors and windows closed. And last time i checked it was a 5m bomb not the threes and nines the board issue

Geez, I hope nobody is using this thread as instruction on how to test flues or do spillage tests. It's got a lot of mistakes from several posters including some who should know better. Some of the advice given is dangerously wrong and could get someone killed.
I'm not going to elaborate on a public forum.

Regarding training - usually there isn't any. A lot of category 2 entrants ("Working in the industry") who are supposed to have done say 10 minimum of each of a number of common activities, and been doing so for 18months, have done_bugger all. Their boss wants them to get through so he fills the form in.

One of our ACS flues has 24 faults, by the way :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back