Beginners cordless combi drill for £150?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well not really a total beginner - but will be strictly for DIY and renovation use. (house is 1960s so internal walls are brick so will need capability for light masonry work)

Currently ive been "coping" with a £5 mcallister screwdriver and an unbranded corded drill that electrocutes me every time i use it without gloves on.

Ive seen that Ryobi seems to be reasonably well spoken of?..
I had a flyer come through from screwfix today advertising this with three batteries:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dcd776c3-18v-1-3ah-li-ion-cordless-combi-drill-xr/13165

Is there any better options for circa £150?

Sponsored Links
Have makita [14.4v] and dewalt [12v] and the dewalt out performs the makita by a long way , makita is built like a toy in comparison.

In the end i went for a Ryobi combo pack that i found in my local b&q - 18v hammer drill, drill driver and two li-ion batteries for £129... based on the fact ill more than likely need more tools as time goes on..

Sponsored Links
In the end i went for a Ryobi combo pack that i found in my local b&q - 18v hammer drill, drill driver and two li-ion batteries for £129... based on the fact ill more than likely need more tools as time goes on..

Big All will be VERY happy!

Big All will be VERY happy!

i was going to say :D :D

yes if you are getting more tools you cant go wrong with ryobi

What do the forum members think of the combi drill mentioned by OP?

DeWalt DCD776C3 18V 1.3Ah Li-Ion Cordless Combi Drill XR - http://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dcd776c3-18v-1-3ah-li-ion-cordless-combi-drill-xr/13165

I am considering buying it. I have a corded Dewalt SDS hammer drill and it is a great tool - it pokes holes in seconds, takes a lot of abuse, the chisel function works very well, it is lightweight and compact for what it does.

The other drill I am considering is the Bosch PSR 18 LI-2 - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005GIU1U0/

The advantages of both the tools is the rechargeable batteries work across a range of tools so I can buy naked/bare versions of other cordless tools.

Are there any other drills you would recommend less than £150?

Thank you.

According to someone I know who works at one of the big sheds the Ryobi is "probably the worst of the 'branded' power tools" based on returns.

Personally I'd recommend the 12v dewalt, strong enough for most work, including light masonry with a decent drill bit, light enough for prolonged overhead work (boarding ceilings). Downside is the NiCd batteries are pretty old tech and don't last, but a good wedge cheaper than Li-ion, and you can get the dewalt in a kit with spare batteries and a charger.

If the dewalt doesn't cope then a corded SDS will end the argument pretty quickly.

I've got the previous version of that DeWalt and I'm happy with the performance and battery life.

I'm renovating a flat and it has coped with everything I've thrown at it so far.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back