Belkin Wireless Logging On

Status
Not open for further replies.
desbarron said:
The media is diconnected because the cable is out of use and the wireless is working.
During an attempt to help you solve the problem, you were asked to connect the cable. If you subsequently disconnected it without telling anyone rthen the advice you receive won't match the circumstances.

The PC is receiving the signal I just cant log into the server.
This isn't very clear. Are you saying that you have a wireless LAN connection to the router, but that the PC cannot connect to some or other remote server? If so, then which server?

Everything works fine except Btyahoo is not recognising this computer and sending the gateway.
BT Yahoo doesn't work by "recognising" computers, but by validating a username and password combination.

BTW, I haven't one earthly clue what you mean by "and sending the gateway".

The pc worked fine till I had to move it to install wiring and plumbing under the floor. Belkin couldn't help Btyahoo could'nt help. I just hoped someone out there could.
Well, we can, but you have to realise that we know more about the technology that you do and you have to trust that the questions being asked are for a reason, and that you randomly following the suggestions and not being to able to provide clear answers is not going to get the problems solved. And this isn't an insult, it's just how things are.

It was a sensible suggestion to connect the PC to the router using Ethernet. If it won't work, then it might be the same fault as with wireless, or it might be a different one. Until you report back with the outcome of attempting the wired connection then it's not very easy to advise you.

Sponsored Links
After reading once again, I know what the answer is !!!

its an IDtenT error

desbarron said:
The media is diconnected because the cable is out of use and the wireless is working. The PC is receiving the signal I just cant log into the server. Insulting me is not solving the problem. Everything works fine except Btyahoo is not recognising this computer and sending the gateway. The pc worked fine till I had to move it to install wiring and plumbing under the floor. Belkin couldn't help Btyahoo could'nt help. I just hoped someone out there could.

BTyahoo has nothing to do with the gateway in this case. The gateway, as far as the PC is concerned, is the router. The problem is the connection between PC and router.

The PC is not receiving an ip address from the router, which would suggest either an encryption or firewall issue. Have you restricted the number of ip addresses being issued?

Why do you have difficulty in describing your setup, including your router settings?

Sponsored Links
As I thought you do not understand wireless principles. Router and Server are two different things.
My original plea for help said that I had limited connectivity, that should tell you that the router and pc are connected wirelessly. Belikin and BT both understood the problem and are working on it. I simply asked if anyone out there could help. Just because I did not now what an 'able' was is no need for rudeness.

My original plea for help said that I had limited connectivity, that should tell you that the router and pc are connected wirelessly

helloooo ? limited connectivity would indicate a connection problem......

LIMITED CONNECTIVELY. In wireless terms means that the network ie: Router PCs is connected but that the router cannot connect the PC showing LC to the outside. This due to the PC not asking for the correct gateway. The problem is resetting the Gateway, this should be done automatically but is not being done. The problem is assigning the Gateway. Both Btyahoo and Belkin have said this is the problem. I hope thjis helps.

If you cannot solve a problem say so, making pathetic jokes is not worthy of this site.

desbarron said:
LIMITED CONNECTIVELY. In wireless terms means that the network ie: Router PCs is connected but that the router cannot connect the PC showing LC to the outside. This due to the PC not asking for the correct gateway. The problem is resetting the Gateway, this should be done automatically but is not being done. The problem is assigning the Gateway. Both Btyahoo and Belkin have said this is the problem. I hope thjis helps.

Let's get this straight. This has NOTHING to do with BTYahoo. You totally misunderstand how routers work.

You are correct is sayting that an unbound wireless connection has been made, by the fact that you have limited connectivity. The other PCs connected to this router have Internet access, so the router has the correct gateway.

What should happen next, is that the network card in the PC will broadcast it's presence and wait to be acknowledged by a DHCP server. If this happens, the server, the router in your case, will lease it an ipaddress and tell the PC which default gateway (ie, the router) to use. For some reason, this is not happening.

You do not have to manually set the gateway. If it's not being assigned an ipaddress, which, from the results of the ipconfig, it isn't and other PCs on your network are working fine, then the problem lies with the settings on the disconnected PC or the router is preventing the PC from gaining access. Have you checked the router logs? Is TCP bound to the wireless adaptor? Did you set encryption in the router?

Just provide a full account of your setup and we'll help. It might take you some time to write a long post, but look at it from our point of view.

Incidently, can you do an ipconfig /all on each of the other PCs and post the results.

have you checked that the TCPI settings are sellected on your faulty pc?

go to wireless connection, right click the wireless connection, select properties. In general look for internet protocol, hi-light it, then click properties, click advanced, then go to options, you will see TCPI/IP filtering. click properties, make sure all tabs are selected to permit all,
and that TCPI/IP filtering is selected on all adapters ;)

good luck, failing that if you have registered your belkin hardware with belkin , call their support line for help with setup as its free plus you get a life time warranty on your hardware

LIMITED CONNECTIVELY. In wireless terms means that the network ie: Router PCs is connected but that the router cannot connect the PC showing LC to the outside. This due to the PC not asking for the correct gateway
You obviously havnt got a clue, but who am I to argue, I only design/implement and support networks for a living, if you know so much then sort it yourself you tit

desbarron said:
As I thought you do not understand wireless principles. Router and Server are two different things.
Igorian and eggplant both understand wireless networking. As it happens I do too, and considering your ignorance your arrogance is laughable. That's the joke.

My original plea for help said that I had limited connectivity, that should tell you that the router and pc are connected wirelessly.
We know that. The point of connecting via cable is to find out whether or not your PC is capable of connecting via cable - if it isn't then the problem is likely to be something other than the wireless interface.

Belikin and BT both understood the problem and are working on it.
Oh really? BT are working on this one? Why would that be, if it's a wireless problem with a PC and a Belkin device?

I simply asked if anyone out there could help. Just because I did not now what an 'able' was is no need for rudeness.
It isn't because of that, it's because of your steadfast refusal to follow a basic fault-finding process.

LIMITED CONNECTIVELY. In wireless terms means that the network ie: Router PCs is connected but that the router cannot connect the PC showing LC to the outside.
No it doesn't. You've made wrong assumptions because you don't have enough knowledge or experience to fix your problem.

This due to the PC not asking for the correct gateway.
It absolutely isn't like that at all.

The problem is resetting the Gateway, this should be done automatically but is not being done.
More hogwash.

The problem is assigning the Gateway.
This is a symptom, not a cause. We have been trying to help you determine the cause, but you seem obsessed with investigating the wrong things.

Both Btyahoo and Belkin have said this is the problem. I hope this helps.
No. It doesn't. Generally, Belkin know what they're talking about, but in my experience BT support staff never, ever, EVER, know what they're talking about.

If you cannot solve a problem say so, making pathetic jokes is not worthy of this site.
It's you who can't solve the problem. :rolleyes:

If you did what was asked, you would not only solve your problem but gain an insight into how professional network engineers solve these problems.

You could do far worse than follow Igorian's most recent advice, but so far you haven't really been helping anyone to help you.

Hash=RS= said:
have you checked that the TCPI settings are sellected on your faulty pc?

go to wireless connection, right click the wireless connection, select properties. In general look for internet protocol, hi-light it, then click properties, click advanced, then go to options, you will see TCPI/IP filtering. click properties, make sure all tabs are selected to permit all,
and that TCPI/IP filtering is selected on all adapters ;)

good luck, failing that if you have registered your belkin hardware with belkin , call their support line for help with setup as its free plus you get a life time warranty on your hardware

Thanks at last some help. Did what you said then tried repair, this worked for the first time since the system broke! I had some trouble clearing the DNS cache but finally manged to clear it and complete the repair. However I still cant reach the server.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back