Best builders vans?

I can't speak for the very latest Transits but have worked on many up to around 2012 or whatever.
Amazing vehicles, so versatile and wonderful to drive - and each type plagued from rust, big time. If Ford would paint them they would go on for a very long time.
Many of them have been tippers - tip each way to the side as well as to the back......so clever!
Horrified to hear that the new models aren't as good. :(
John :)

Sponsored Links
So with the old style chassis thats where you get the Luton/Tipper and Flatbed all on the same model but just different versions of the same unit. So transits wouldn't have a chassis then would they

The transit custom doesnt have a seperate chassis, and the smaller vans like the berlingo transit connect etc dont

Are we talking the same size of a Mercedes long wheel base sprinter? If it's that size then I couldn't begin to imagine how you'd operate that in somewhere like London or a city environment?

Mine is middle length middle height. I coped with London well, any bigger would have been a problem

Sponsored Links
Mine is middle length middle height. I coped with London well, any bigger would have been a problem
I've had a long wheel base panel van but it wasn't convenient to park and drive

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't speak for the very latest Transits but have worked on many up to around 2012 or whatever.
Amazing vehicles, so versatile and wonderful to drive - and each type plagued from rust, big time. If Ford would paint them they would go on for a very long time.
Many of them have been tippers - tip each way to the side as well as to the back......so clever!
Horrified to hear that the new models aren't as good. :(
Is buying a transit a bad decision?

The Transits I've worked on generally came from local authority auctions (Newcastle City Works, to be exact) and they found their way into the hands of landscape gardeners......the worst combination of all time!
I think any ten year old Tranny is going to be a bit hard up rust wise, but the Duratorq engine seemed to be reliable. It did, however tend to split its rubber sandwiched crankshaft pulley (often hurling itself through both radiators :eek:) and auxiliary belt tensioners. Tippers reduced their steel body platform to rust in no time, because they were left with soil on board for ages. I had to replace one diff on these which I thought had to be rare, and ignition switches were always falling apart.
Although Toyota built their own van from a parts bucket, I do find the build quality to be much better than many. The Sprinter seems well built but the paint quality is hopeless considering their price. (These were Rescue Team vehicles, which were looked after though.)

Ive got a Movano M2 H2 Semi auto. 14 plate from new. Been a really good van, Ive had it professionally racked out so will more than likely keep till it dies now. Also 08 Plate Traffic Sport from new. 56 plate Vauxhall combo that needs to be sold.
Do you mean "Renault Traffic" van.

So Sxturbo listed Vauxhall as being really good now with vans so obviously that's one to keep an eye on. If you've owned it from new then you know it's been looked after.
Do you mean "Renault Traffic" van?

Yes thats not done too bad either

Actually I have no garage mechanic qualifications whatsoever, but I got my first moped at 7 as a non runner and somehow managed to sort that.
After that it was a natural progression to fixing my own four wheeled wrecks, and those of friends......nowadays it's their children! I was fortunate to have an amazing education which qualified me as a teacher for 35 years plus becoming a member of the 'Institute' , working with very clever people - experience I'll never forget, although it is all well out of date now.
You've got the knack when it comes to mechanics

- and each type plagued from rust, big time. Horrified to hear that the new models aren't as good. :( John :)
So it's not just rust that's an issue but engine issues as well

Just looking at the world through 66 yr old eyes :whistle:
When I consider the pleasure I've had - and that still applies now - with the ability to use tools and to find out how things work and also to hopefully repair things, I feel that youngsters are missing out on so much.
The majority of younger people that I come across just don't seem to be interested in mechanical things, but just seem to be totally absorbed in their phones and social media :( I guess I should ask them though!

Sponsored Links
Back