Best way to connect a USB LED strip to a ceiling light fitting

Sponsored Links
My suggestion would be to check the spec of the LED strip and get a suitable driver/PSU for it - e.g. something from this selection https://ledhut.co.uk/collections/led-drivers-transformers
You will notice that all of these take a hard-wired input or have a pigtail already fitted - so easy to connect to your existing ceiling rose or pendant cable. Just a matter of picking the correct voltage, and a suitable power rating (at least that of the LED strip(s), but not too much more as some drivers have a minimum load.
Is there a control unit of some sort ? The photo shows a remote control - I'd expect there to be a control box of some sort to go between the power supply (USB cable in this case) and the LED strip.
Also, is this LED strip that you already have, or something you are planning to buy ? It's just that you may be best choosing a different product - such as choosing 12V instead of 5V which would give you a better choice of driver/PSU.

No LED drivers have a minimum load.

That only applies to those poorly designed halogen lamp SMPSs.

No LED supplies have a minimum load. Only those poorly designed halogen SMPS have this limitation.
Not true. It is quite common to have minimum loads for a SMPS to work correctly - and most LED drivers are basically a SMPS.

For clarity, I am NOT saying that a large proportion have this limitation - just that it is a factor to consider.

Sponsored Links
Not true. It is quite common to have minimum loads for a SMPS to work correctly - and most LED drivers are basically a SMPS.

For clarity, I am NOT saying that a large proportion have this limitation - just that it is a factor to consider.
It is true. The SMPS with DC output for LED drivers do not have a minimum load.

The poorly designed SMPS for halogens invariably do have a minimum load.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back