Black & Decker 14.4v Drill/Driver

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a KC14XC Drill/Driver that has done stirling service for many years. However, it had been relegated to the 2nd division by a later acquisition and eventually the battery died. B&D discontinued them years ago but I bought a Vintsky clone NiMh 3.0Ahr that seems to be fine Since I have only used it as a drill until yesterday when I tried to use it as a driver, I noticed that it was only working on fast rate, so it was almost impossible to start a screw.

So the question is: is the fault in the speed controller in the drill or the battery? !s there 14.4V on the side terminal of the battery or some lower voltage, 3.6V or 4.8V possibly

Does anybody still have a B&D battery, could you measure the voltage for me?

In the absence of a volt meter, a car light bulb (12V) could be used.

If you connect between the main two end terminals the bulb should light brightly (assuming the battery is charged)

If you connect between the side terminal and the adjacent top terminal, if the bulb is out then the side terminal is 14.4V. Connect between the side and the far terminals, the bulb should be full brightness.

Otherwise, side to far terminal, bulb should be dim and side to adjacent terminals, bulb half brightness.

Sponsored Links
It's probably the speed controller. Certainly with routers if the speed cotroller fails then the router either stops dead or will onlybrun at top speed

I had another look inside last night after I posted and came to the same conclusion. I'm not going to open up the switch assembly. I have apretty good ides what I might find and it won't be repairable but there is plenty of space in the handle to add an external speed control circuit, so here goes. Thanks for the help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back