Block Paving - an impartial view!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had three quotes for some block paving, two of which were quite similar (£3500 & £3800), but one came in significantly more (£5300). This was primarily due to the £5300 quote digging the whole drive up and starting from scratch, whereas the other two quotes have implied that providing the sub base is sound, they will be able to re-use it, hence some cost avoidance.

Looking online, there appears to be some truth surrounding the re-use of a sound, significant sub-base.

The double drive is currently tarmac and the property only 12 years old. Similar driveways on the estate have also had their sub-base reused.

What's the consensus - I'd rather pay £3500 for something adequate, than £5300 for an over the top solution.

Sponsored Links
What happens if the two cheaper guys are not happy with what they see when they get on site? Did they quote you for "worst case"? You cant very well pull back after they start?

What happens if the two cheaper guys are not happy with what they see when they get on site? Did they quote you for "worst case"? You cant very well pull back after they start?

As they've done block paving on the estate before and never encountered an issue where the sub base has been inadequate or not sound, they have presumed that mine will be the same. Needlesstosay, I'll ensure that any contract I enter into will be on the basis that the price they quote is fixed and not subject to negotiation/increase should they find issues. Onus should be on them to perform the investigation/exploration.

Surely the only question you need to ask the first two firms is - what will the cost be if you need to replace the sub-base?

Then you can compare three like-for-like quotes and not have any nasty surprises later should the sub-base be unsuitable.

Sponsored Links
I'll ensure that any contract I enter into will be on the basis that the price they quote is fixed and not subject to negotiation/increase should they find issues. Onus should be on them to perform the investigation/exploration.
So you expect them to dig a few trial holes in your driveway before they're appointed then? Or are you going to dig them yourself?

I'd like to know how they'll KNOW the sub base is OK? Just because there IS one doesn't mean its any good....What do you have down at the moment?

I'll ensure that any contract I enter into will be on the basis that the price they quote is fixed and not subject to negotiation/increase should they find issues. Onus should be on them to perform the investigation/exploration.
So you expect them to dig a few trial holes in your driveway before they're appointed then? Or are you going to dig them yourself?

I dont expect them to do anything. They are making the assumption that the sub base is acceptable, hence their price. If they find it's unsuitable, it's their problem surely.

I'd like to know how they'll KNOW the sub base is OK? Just because there IS one doesn't mean its any good....What do you have down at the moment?

They don't know the sub base is ok - they are making an assumption based on what they've already installed on the estate.

Tarmac is down at the moment.

I dont expect them to do anything. They are making the assumption that the sub base is acceptable, hence their price. If they find it's unsuitable, it's their problem surely.

I think it will actually be your problem.

If the sub-base is unsuitable it won't stop them from laying the block paving on the site.

It'll probably look lovely when it's finished too and you'll pay your money and the firm will leave.

Two years down the line when your blocks start to sink you'll ring up the company and complain and they will say - well we did price the job very clearly saying that we were not replacing the sub base you pays your money you take your chances.

Good luck trying to get your money back or get it fixed when that happens.

Best to get a price for both elements separately and then decide for yourself what work is actually needed once the exisiting surface is up.

I don't expect them to do anything. They are making the assumption that the sub base is acceptable, hence their price. If they find it's unsuitable, it's their problem surely.

No it's actually your problem

You have one company thats quoted for everything including the sub base
and two companys quoting for reusing the sub base if it's in a useable condition

You need clarification from both of those companies how much extra YOU would have to pay to make good on a new sub base.

If you don't I can see you starting a thread on here about getting ripped off LOL..

Just one other thing Do you know what a good sub base is ??

If not how will you be able to tell if yours will be reusable or not

I don't expect them to do anything. They are making the assumption that the sub base is acceptable, hence their price. If they find it's unsuitable, it's their problem surely.

No it's actually your problem

You have one company thats quoted for everything including the sub base
and two companys quoting for reusing the sub base if it's in a useable condition

You need clarification from both of those companies how much extra YOU would have to pay to make good on a new sub base.

If you don't I can see you starting a thread on here about getting ripped off LOL..

Just one other thing Do you know what a good sub base is ??

If not how will you be able to tell if yours will be reusable or not

I appreciate the comments and you are absolutely right. It's not a true comparison when two companies are making assumptions and the third is basing his quote on a worse case scenario.

Interestingly, the third (and most expensive) company have just emailed me reducing their quote from £5300 to £4400 !

Have you seen close up examples of work of any of the companies involved..in Particular the ones dropping the price .

I personally would be wary of the company dropping the price by that amount (£900) :eek:
They may well be a good company that is looking for continuity of work but just as easily they could be cowboys

It needs a sub-base of 150mm minimum of type 1 MOT or similar.

To ascertain this all you need is a few trial holes to check the depth. Re-using the sub-base is fine as long as you have enough clearance under your DPC.

Undoubtedly the companies who said they could re-use the sub-base will have to dig a few holes to check but you do need a second price from them should it need excavated and re-done.

You can;t stake the long term stability of a drive and your reputation on the assumption that its fine to re-use it without checking depths and recompacting etc.

we never use old sube base as if it sinks or moves after the drive is done there isnt any one on the green earth that will put there name on it and come back and redo it if it gos belly up!!!!!

why will a firm put there name to some elces work>>>>cowboys
dig it up and start from new with G,O tex matting min 150mm base then 50mm sand then pavers
iv got a load of slabbing and block paving to start soon and have the chouse to reuse a old sub base guess what the muck away lorry is booked to take the lot no chancers on this job

ask your self why risk it if it all gos tits up your drive will look pony and yourll be at a loss and hart broken!!!!!!
you didnt take the advice you was asking for
if i do a job a want to stand back in years to come and say i did that its a pride thing with me and knowing if some one comes in the future thay will say its a good job

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back