BLown Air heater in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will shortly be re-wiring a house. For the first time I have been asked to install an electric blow heater into the bathroom.

The heater is 2kW, now what I am after is a few peoples opinions on this.

My intention is to supply the power to this heater from the supply side of an FCU for an immersion heater to another FCU.

The Immersion will be on its own dedicated circuit.

The bathroom will naturally be RCD protected, however I have given some thought to bonding at the light switch as well for that little bit extra.

My alternative would be to draw from the lighting circuit to an FCU and bond again.

I promise loads of pics from this one, the board is something to behold!!!

The heater is to be located in Zone 2

Does anyone have any thoughts to my propostion(s)?

I would be interested to here them, cheers chaps

Sponsored Links
You can't spur anything off an immersion heater circuit, the fan may be spurred of a socket circuit, or run on a dedicated circuit.

The fact you don't know that makes me rather concerned you're attempting rewiring a house on a commercial basis.

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Hairyben, sorry was not thinking this through properly just looked down at my calcs and realised 2000/230 > 6A and momentary laps re the old Immersion circuit

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Dedicated is the best approach here I think.

Do you think I am just being overly cautious with the bonding? The house is occupied by to 80+ year olds I want them to be super safe

Sponsored Links
I don't know the ins and outs of the installation like you do, however if you read the 17th edition regs on supp bonding if all circuits are RCD protected and the pipework is effectively connected to the MET then supplementary bonding may be ommited.
Is the fan heater IPX4 ?

Oharaf - don't see why people have a go at you for asking for help - we all need it occasionally.

Doing some OAP work on Monday - moving existing 1kW fan heater - it's on it's own radial - seems best idea - pull cord operated - outside of zones.

In my experience of similar sized OAP bathrooms 1kW would be plenty I know several have found the 2kW setting too hot. You can change some of the Dimplex ones.

Oharaf - don't see why people have a go at you for asking for help - we all need it occasionally.

didn't intend to "have a go", but spurring off immersion circuits is bad electrical practice 101, so when the geezer asks if he can and BTW he's rewiring the house on what appears to be a commercial basis it kinda alarms me.

If a Mr. bit-part DIY'er asked the same question it would have been answered differently.

Hi Guys, thanks for that.

Hairyben, no offence taken, just me thinking through when over tired been doing 17hhour days past fortnight.

Have been castigating myself since posting!!!!

The heater is designed for the bathroom and is variable so all good there.

Fully aware of the regs. re RCD and special locations, I think it is just me and the fact they are so old.

oharaf: all due respects and so on, but you still haven't said if the heater is IPx4 and you did say it's in zone 2. I know you said designed for bathroom, but the only such heater I looked at recently was for use outside the zones. Can't you put it outside the zones anyway?

Though IANAE

electronics uk, i don't understand why you say a 2kw appliance should be on a dedicated circuit. Oharaf, surley you can find a simple enough way to wire a fcu off or in the ring final. If a house did not have central heating i maybe be very slightly tempted to consider a dedicated circuit for a heating appliance in excess of 2kw. but in any event over 3kw or if it would be on the very limits of a radial. btw Oharaf, i am in a similar situation, Just having my part p assessment next week and i know you recently passes yours. He who asks no questions learns nothing and now that you have asked the question there is no mistake to be made. wire on mate!

Sorry guys talking even more *******s now!!!!!

The heater is OUTSIDE of zone 2 in the 'undefined' area anyway just been out to the van to check the heater and it is IPX4.

I am now off to run the bath and hop in with the toaster and do the ironing as well as make a nice coffee with the kettle in the sink all powered up from my nice new socket above the sink run in 0.75mm flex protected by a 50A typeC breaker and no RCD or bonding.

See you all tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Damn will have to get the 3 way adaptor need the welder as well :eek:

Yes I do!!!! It is always in her room!!!!

The kitchen I think it is known as, went in there by mistake once, never again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back