Boarding up a panel wall of glass

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, recently moved into 70's semi. Next to the door to the main bedroom is a section of glass panels, floor to ceiling, which form part of the bedroom perimeter wall. Previous owners cover over with wallpaper. I want to fill it in, so once all decorated it will look like a normal wall. See attached photos.

IL give it a go myself. I'm pretty handy. My thought process;

1.Remove all glass
2.Cut and remove horizontal wood frame joists
3.Fit new, thinner joists to allow for a flush fitting of plasterboard against existing frame
4.Fit plasterboard, both hall side and bedroom side
5.Fit scirting and facing to match existing
6.Decorate

What's your thoughts on this? I think the trickiest part is getting the plasterboard flush with the existing framework.

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_20170526_071010522.jpg
    IMG_20170526_071010522.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_20170526_071015530.jpg
    IMG_20170526_071015530.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_20170526_071042996.jpg
    IMG_20170526_071042996.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 218
Sponsored Links
Your best bet might be to remove the beading thats holding the glass in.
Then remove the glass one piece at a time - first checking for old putty or sealant.

If you move or remove the framing you risk various possible difficulties with the two doors.
Removing the "joists" (aka transoms or rails) to replace them with "thinner joists" might fatally weaken an already curious bit of joinery?

When the glass is out you could post a pic showing inside of the frame and the frame section dimensions?

Removing the "joists" (aka transoms or rails) to replace them with "thinner joists" might fatally weaken an already curious bit of joinery?

When the glass is out you could post a pic showing inside of the frame and the frame uy dimensions?

Curious it is indeed. But yes, you have a point there regarding potential weakening of the joinery. IL remove a panel and take pics.

Other option would be to remove the glass, and board over each section so it's flush with the 'transoms' , then paper over. Or not paper over and attempt to make it a feature, if that's even possible given the strangeness of it

was the glass intended to provide borrowed light to a dark landing?

Modern LEDs are so cheap to run that they can be ignored. In a dark area, you might be able to provide a fake skylight or window with frosted glass and a "daylight" lamp that will give the impression of natural light.

Sponsored Links
Leave the glass in to give it support. Remove a small bit of beading at the ceiling. Plaster board over the top leaving a gap around the edge, make some rebated architrave and use this to fill the gap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back