Boiler certify?(corgi)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Bought a flat around 2 years ago without any boiler or electrical certificate. Everything working fine but I would like to get the situation regularised (thinking to rent a room at this property). Boiler is a combi. I was looking at the web and my question is: -What if a get a landlord/owner certificate. Would that make my boiler regularized?
The idea of building control at my home is a scary one! Never got a good feeling about that and a I may end up paying a loot for a corgi plumber just trying to make as much money as possible. What are my options?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Get a landlords certificate, CP12, done. This will check the boiler/gas over but not notify it to BC.

Get an electrical certificate as well. I believe they are good for 5 years.

If you are only renting a room and you own and control the heating and cooking facilities I do not think you would need any of these as you are not renting the whole property just letting out a room,but if your intension was to rent all the rooms and not live there yourself then you would come under the landlords safety certificate,it would still be a good idea to have corgi engineer do a service on the heating system this would at least make sure every thing was safe, and get an electrician to test the electrical system as well. I don't understand why you did not do this before buying the property I always get some one to check as well as a full survey

Sponsored Links
What's currently happening near me is illustrated thus:

Girl gets her boyfriend (unregistered) to put in a boiler.
Comes to sesl, solicitor asks for documents including Notification document from Corgi which says the installation was done by xxx and conforms etc, and was also notified to Building Control.
This should have been generated when the installer notified the installation to Corgi.
(NB a large proportion of installations done by Corgi regd installers don't get Notified to anyone)

Solicitor asked for a Landlords Gas Safety Check. So I did one, also providing a list of what would be required to bring the installation up to current Gas standards, and Building Regulation requirements.
The solicitor only looked at the "safe to use" box which gets a tick.
Flat has now been sold with no further comment .

Never got a good feeling about that and a I may end up paying a loot for a corgi plumber just trying to make as much money as possible. What are my options?

Do you really want to know :evil: :evil:

Never got a good feeling about that and a I may end up paying a loot for a corgi plumber just trying to make as much money as possible.
Always seems strange comment making out CORGI registered people are out to make as much as possible particually bearing in mind it is many of that group of people who provide the FREE help and advise on this and many other forums. The word insult comes to mind somehow!!

I was a corgi registered gas installer until a few years ago when I retired from having a stroke.
when the gas board was broken up for monopolizing the market, the health and safety took over the job but never really took full responsibility for it ,Corgi is a registered list for gas installer the gas board and all of there staff have to be individually registered, and if you saw some of the crap they left behind and dumped when they where forced to break up it would make this look simple, still that does not help you not all installers are bad there are a lot of good guys out there just like builders plasterers etc the bad ones give everybody else a bad name and you need to look around and check with friends or locals for a recommendation.
its worth while doing this in advance along with local electricians and there costs will also vary so putting in some home work in advance is worth while and pays dividends in the end

The idea of building control at my home is a scary one! Never got a good feeling about that and a I may end up paying a loot for a corgi plumber just trying to make as much money as possible. What are my options?
Thanks

Most of the people who give free advice about boilers and gas safety on this site ARE registered with CORGI.

Nor surprisingly perhaps, we are less than pleased to hear anyone who says this nonsense about corgi plumbers trying to make as much money as possible !

If I was trying to make as much money as possible then why would I be giving free advice?

On Sunday morning I had a call about a repair which would have cost him £221. Did I run out and do the job? No ! I gave him advice over the phone ( free of even call charges as he used our 0800 number! ) which enabled him to unstick the gas valve and save him £221.

Could I suggest that it is you who want to save yourself money and do a job without the necessary training and have now realised that you have a bit of a problem because you were too mean to spend £160 getting a CORGI to do the essential installation work and ensure it was done safely?

When you bought your flat I expect you used a solicitor? They usually charge about £200-£400 per hour. Thats more than most plumbers charge for a whole day !

Tony

i agree with the post on renting out one room and living in the house yourself, i'm sure you don't need a CP12 for this as they are a paying guest in your own home and you have control/use the appliances as well, surely if you take "dig money" from your son or daughter they are technically a lodger as well, or if they are family does it not count? but if you own a flat and your son lives in it you are a landlord, the difference must be whether you live in the property with the lodger and there are no gas appliances in their room that they have sole use of, i'm sure someone will be along soon to keep us right.

Hi all,

First I would like to say thanks for all the replies. I respect all professional and being work with property maintenance myself I like also to be respected for the work that I do. It has been difficult to find in London a good corgi Plumber (I am sure that there are a lot of good professionals out there, a good example it is the effort of all of you giving advice at this site, but I also know that there is shortage of plumbers in London and the prices are sometimes astronomical) I am sure that I don’t need to explain myself about that. No reason for no one get offended or insulted as someone sad.

When I bought my flat I did a survey and they were supposed to check all that. The entire situation was very stressful. The seller almost changed his mind and at end we were just happy to have bought the property (however the survey was very superficial, anyways...it is a long story and now it is too late).

I would like to say that I just posted a genuine question and some people got really offended with just a simple question. I am wondering how this professional would react in front of a customer. If people got offended with a question they should look at their own life’s or go for a running, do some sports to let some energy out. That is the best way to realise bad energy. That is for Tony: Listen, If you look at my first question" I sad that I would like to have the situation regularised, I am not trying to do the job without a qualify Corgi, because at the end of the day any certificate will be isssued by a register Corgi professional. I asked if a landlord certificate would be sufficient. What is your point? Get a life!

Reading yTony's post again. I wanto to say that I did not installl the boiler myself it was there when we I bought the property. I did not pay my solicitor it was paid by our morgage, as a first time buyer it was included in the pack.
Please make your point clear if it is just to provoke please get out of the discussion.

Hi all,

First I would like to say thanks for all the replies. I respect all professional and being work with property maintenance myself I like also to be respected for the work that I do. It has been difficult to find in London a good corgi Plumber (I am sure that there are a lot of good professionals out there, a good example it is the effort of all of you giving advice at this site, but I also know that there is shortage of plumbers in London and the prices are sometimes astronomical)

There are several of us who reply free on this forum who are based in London. You have not contacted any of us!

There is no shortage of CORGI people in London.

There is a shortage of people who want to work at the rates which you expect to pay us.

We charge £65 plus parking for a Gas Safety Certificate in our local area. Thats pretty average for anyone who does the tests properly.

Clearly you are not happy to pay the normal prices which we and most other professionals charge.

When we repair boilers we dont ask you to pay us by the hour only to take ages to find the fault so we charge a fixed diagnostic fee of £84. Of course if you think thats "astronomical" then all I can say is that you dont seem to be up to date with what things cost and its far less than solicitors, dentists, accountants etc.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back