boiler in loft hallway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello everyone.

i am doing a loft conversion and had my my boiler installed now i would like to put a cupboard round it.

1 do i need to fire proof it

2 do i need to vent it

heres a pic to help

View media item 25179

Sponsored Links
All the info will be in the Installation Instructions with the Boiler
P.S. the flue looks odd, shouldn't it have a vertical flue? :confused:

Flue installation looks wrong. Check the installation instructions!

Sponsored Links
As has been said look in the book for clearances and if vent req as every boiler is different.
As for the flue a simple call to manufacturers will confirm whether they allow a standard flue to be used through tiles.
Gas safe say its ok providing the minimum 300mm from bottom of terminal to nearest point of roof is achieved

the boiler is a vaillant 937 just looked at instructions no mention of must be vertical flue also it does say in the book about it does not need venting in a cupboard but what about fire proofing the cupboard . should i put fire door on and fire board on the inside of cupboard..

thanks

or would just i normal cupboard do.

also i think the bottom of the flue outside is less than 300mm from the tiles will i have extend it out further

vaillant best placed for info on how their flue will perform as is.

no fire boards needed. no ventillation needed.

Had the boiler been fitted on an outside wall, I bet no one would have commented on the flue. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

also i think the bottom of the flue outside is less than 300mm from the tiles will i have extend it out further
Then how would you test it? I wonder what else you've got wrong. Typical DIY installation. :(

Gas safe say its ok providing the minimum 300mm from bottom of terminal to nearest point of roof is achieved
They're irrelevant, and it depends who you ask.
Use Mfrs Instrs or call them

You must remember that a flue position has to be inspected during a service how will a future service engineer be able to confirm that the flue is at least 300mm from the tiles without hauling out ladders and getting up to the roof! take it from me that is beyond what a Service Engineer working on his own could be expected to do, and it is likely that he would issue a warning/Advice note instead! so best to do it properly so that the engineer can be in no doubt from the ground that the flue is compliant!! ;)

seen this kind off instal before on at least 2 occasions, on both occasssions i argued with the installer who was gas safe registered about it

All I got is it doesn't say you carn't do it in the manafactures instructions, which is an utter sheet excuse to get out off paying for a vertical flue, lets face it that is what we are looking at here

Cheap arse installation!! It would have been easier to vertically flue it, but the parts would have cost more, let me guess!! used a flashing kit for a soil stack?

So in a knutshell I would worry more about the flue than boxing the boiler in!

Being pedantic, if the flue terminal is installed to be 300mm above the tiles below and the pitched roof weathering slate is installed 'upside down' to get a horizontal flue through then the external wall of the flue (the air duct) will be exposed.

Vaillants do not approve use of the flue exposed directly to the elements or sunlight, only if it is under eaves or some sort of direct cover as do Worcester. Ideals do not approve any of the air duct to be exposed to the elements whether under cover or not.

I know, I know, I see it hundreds of times as well but it depends on the service engineer you get round and how he sees the install. Some will allow the duct to be covered in Denso, some will not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back