Bolt Type Query to bolt down Vice.

Sponsored Links
The problem is there is a drawer right below it so I don't want huge long bolts. I measured it roughly by putting the bolt in the vice bolt hole then through the hole i drilled in the worktop.

Why not put the bolt in upside down, i.e. from the underside. That way it doesn't matter if the bolt is too long.

Edit----- whoops, just noticed that was recommended by @freddiemercurystwin earlier.

Sponsored Links
I was about to say the same thing...
Some Vernier callipers may be a useful investment :)
That and a Bolt Gauge which I am going to get from Screwfix. LOL

Would these do?

They say DIN 933 which is a medium grade HT class 8.8 and should be adequate. It is 18/8 A2 stainless which is used for teapots, spoons and forks. If they break you could buy Class 10.9 which is about 25% stronger.

Your link is for M8 but you said the holes were 5mm. M8 will not fit. 5mm is M5.

Though your bolt holes seem surprisingly small to me. Is there no additional fixing at the back?

There are two side holes and one under the vice slide if that's what you mean.

Can you not post a pic of the vice? But really just take the vice to B&Q, choose the biggest bolts that fit in the holes, the B&Q's near me have a pic and mix you just choose whatever bolts/washers/nuts you need and it costs about £2.

They say DIN 933 which is a medium grade HT class 8.8 and should be adequate. It is 18/8 A2 stainless which is used for teapots, spoons and forks. If they break you could buy Class 10.9 which is about 50% stronger.

Your link is for M8 but you said the holes were 5mm. M8 will not fit. 5mm is M5.

Though your bolt holes seem surprisingly small to me. Is there no additional fixing at the back?
Well the M8 7mm diameter bolt fits so I have done something wrong lol. The vice mounting holes are 5mm.

Last edited:
Here is a pic from the net of the vice.

Attachments

• vice.jpg
    vice.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 42
That and a Bolt Gauge which I am going to get from Screwfix. LOL
Zeus Precision Charts and Tables, could be a pamphlet you may wish to investigate, especially useful if you are getting into machining!

Screenshot_20230406-145328_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Well the M8 bolt fits so I have done something wrong lol. The vice mounting holes are 5mm.
From above, I'm afraid an M8 bolt can't fit into a 5mm hole! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back