Booster Box connected to electrical supply

Sponsored Links
What is wrong is asking for something that is not available or compliant in much of the EU.
Do I take it that you know that when these items are sold outside of the UK, the instructions (in whatever language) 'ask for' an FCU?

Kind Regards, John

Do I take it that you know that when these items are sold outside of the UK, the instructions (in whatever language) 'ask for' an FCU?

Kind Regards, John

No. Normally items are sold with instructions in multiple languages. Sometimes there is an *, saying something about how to wire a plug in the UK, but I've never seen anything saying FCUs only in the UK.

Sponsored Links
In view of what you go on to say, does that 'No' mean 'Yes'? (or is your true answer 'No', but you're guessing that it might be 'Yes'?)!
Normally items are sold with instructions in multiple languages. Sometimes there is an *, saying something about how to wire a plug in the UK, but I've never seen anything saying FCUs only in the UK.
Not having ever bought electrical items outside of the UK, I personally haven't a clue what instructions they come with, so I can't argue with someone who apparently has such experience.

Kind Regards, John

What is wrong is asking for something that is not available or compliant in much of the EU.
The French rarely use fused plugs, does that mean we should not use fused plugs???????
Get a grip man, FCUs are not wrong!!!
Do you really use German, French or Polish wiring regulation when installing an electrical system in the UK and source your material from mainland Europe? I doubt you do!!!!
And would you refuse to install a FCU because you can not source one from a French or German wholesalers?

Last edited:
but I've never seen anything saying FCUs only in the UK.

There are some low power items not destined for the UK domestic market that have instructions to hard wire them and not to use a plug on them. These are vital function items that must not be powered down by being unplugged to free up a socket the the hair drier or mobile phone charger

on a 3A FCU, boiler has internal fuses so is it really necessary?
Many boilers have related external components such as motorised valves, thermostats, programmers etc which are supplied direct from the FCU and wouldn't be protected by the boilers internal fuses.

Many boilers have related external components such as motorised valves, thermostats, programmers etc which are supplied direct from the FCU and wouldn't be protected by the boilers internal fuses.

But these items like all electrical devices should have their own internal protection. The function of an external fuse is to protect the cable.

The French rarely use fused plugs, does that mean we should not use fused plugs???????
Get a grip man, FCUs are not wrong!!!
Do you really use German, French or Polish wiring regulation when installing an electrical system in the UK and source your material from mainland Europe? I doubt you do!!!!
And would you refuse to install a FCU because you can not source one from a French or German wholesalers?

The French don't used fused plugs as they don't have 32 amp ring circuits. We wouldn't need them if our circuits were 16 amp radials.

I would not install a FCU in France or Germany not because I could not get it there but because it would not be compliant.

There is a problem with ex pats in Europe doing electrics (and plumbing) the British way and then wondering why it has not been passed and having to remove it.

But these items like all electrical devices should have their own internal protection. The function of an external fuse is to protect the cable.
So you would think, but very few programmers have internal protection. Nor do motorised valves, and they come complete with 5 core fly-lead, the conductors of which have a low cross-sectional area.

The French don't used fused plugs as they don't have 32 amp ring circuits. We wouldn't need them if our circuits were 16 amp radials.
Which is why most table lamps and hand held appliances have to to have flexible leads rated at 16 amps, only they are not as flexible as a lead rated at 5 amps protected by a 3 amp fuse in the plug.

And compare the "explosive power" of a 16 amp short circuit ( circa 4 kW ) to that of a 3 amp short circuit ( circa 0.75 kW ). It isn't that simple but the damage from a 3 amp protected circuit is less than the damage from a 16 amp protected circuit.

wondering why it has not been passed and having to remove it.

It was not illegal to fit UK sockets in Germany ( Duesseldorf area 1970's ) and some holiday lets had UK sockets fitted to allow UK visitors to use their electrical items without using adaptors and most important with a suitable fuse for the lead. Some of my colleagues used UK fused plugs for table lamps and other low amperageitems.

So you would think, but very few programmers have internal protection. Nor do motorised valves, and they come complete with 5 core fly-lead, the conductors of which have a low cross-sectional area.
Yes, but we are talking (still, I think) about 6A circuits requiring fusing down.

What is the possible overload that could be created by a synchronous motor or even an external pump?
The valve conductors surely can cope with fault current.

Anyway, what do they do in Europe when fitting a boiler and associated parts to their 16A circuits?

Just because we are used to doing things does not really mean they are necessary.

Yes, but we are talking (still, I think) about 6A circuits requiring fusing down.
Yes, I think we are still meant to be talking about that, and I agree that it's a bit silly. Even though I don't doubt that bernard will probably remind us that "double the power means 4 times the ('explosive') power", in the context we're talking about, I really don't think that the difference between 6A and 3A is of any real consequence.
What is the possible overload that could be created by a synchronous motor or even an external pump?
I would not imagine that the little motors in MVs etc. could result in an overload (rather than fault) current which was very high, but I'm not sure what the stalled current of a circulator pump would be.

Kind Regards, John

Anyway, what do they do in Europe when fitting a boiler and associated parts to their 16A circuits?

On a recent visit to Croatia in a holiday let a Valliant combi boiler and all its perifferals were simply plugged into a Schoko socket.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back