Booster Box connected to electrical supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've discovered a booster box in the loft wired to the bedroom ceiling light. I don't know who installed it and am wondering whether it needs checked out by a qualified electrician. Also,if it had been installed by an aerial technician would that be acceptable? (The cable from it leads down the outside wall into the bedroom)

Sponsored Links
Providing the installation has been performed correctly and safely. (which is difficult establish by your post).
There should be no issue with regard to low amp equipment like this, being added to a lighting circuit.
Some pictures could be helpful.

I'm attaching some photos, rather concerned at the bare wires.
DSC01416.JPG
DSC01418.JPG
DSC01417.JPG

Sponsored Links
It's a little bit of a mickey mouse job. As Prentice has said, the booster is low power, so the lighting circuit can handle it. They've cut off the 13A plug on the booster, and wired it into the fused spur, but I suspect a 13A socket would have been more sensible, as there's a fuse in the plug itself. Okay, a 13A socket off the lighting circuit isn't exactly kosher, but I've done it for the same reasons.

Those bare wires are a cause for concern. Looks as if a wiring accessory has been removed - perhaps nothing to do with the aerial amplifier. If ther were connected to a socket on a ring final circuit, the ring is now broken. Can you see where those cables go, and do you have any means of testing for voltage?

We think something has been removed but don't know what. Decided best to have it checked out by a qualified electrician. I'll let you know the outcome. Many thanks for your replies

Do those bare wires come up through a hole? Looks just like the discarded ends cut off of 2 old cables from the photo!

It is best on a fused connection unit, than a standard 13A socket, being that it has been fitted to the lighting circuit.
Not that I would expect anyone to plug a lawn mower into a socket in the loft space.
Not unless they doing a bit of cultivating up there that is!!!:whistle:

and yes get those bare conductors checked out!

But FCU'a are not used or needed on lighting circuits. Better to use a 2amp plug and socket.

It's fully within regulations though isn't it?
That would depend on your interpretation of the regulations! If by regulations you are meaning BS7671?
Then I would be looking a at some of the requirements that seem to suggest that a 13A socket should not be installed on a lighting circuit protected by a 5a, 6a or even a 10a device (which are very common in the domestic environment).
Part 5 would indicate that it should not be done.

I don't know what BS7671 says about it, but they are not needed on lighting circuits as such circuits are already adequately protected ususally with a 6amp MCB. Remember this is to protect the cable. Any protection for the end appliance, in this case an aerial amplifier, should be provided internally by the manufacturer.

The fact that you come across something wrong all the time does not make it right.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back