Boris

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So Boris Johnson has done something unlawful, but has he committed a crime? Ignorance is no defence in the eyes of the law so if he has committed a crime why is he not being prosecuted & why aren't his advisers charged with aiding & abetting the commitment of that crime?

Sponsored Links
Not sure he has committed a crime. Unlawful can mean breaking laws or not following the agreed rules and correct processes.

e.g. a customer not paying an invoice by an agreed time might be unlawful, but that doesn't mean you can prosecute a late paying customer, at least, not the next day. Maybe after a month or so!

Law is a bit confusing. It's hard enough trying to understand Brexit, now everybody wants to understand the legal system. Next it'll be brain surgery and rocket science that we all need to understand.

So Boris Johnson has done something unlawful, but has he committed a crime? Ignorance is no defence in the eyes of the law so if he has committed a crime why is he not being prosecuted & why aren't his advisers charged with aiding & abetting the commitment of that crime?
Which law did he break?

Law is a bit confusing. It's hard enough trying to understand Brexit, now everybody wants to understand the legal system.
Which is why we need a written constitution...

So that the law of the land is more understandable and relatively clear cut!

Sponsored Links
porridge.png

Which is why we need a written constitution...

So that the law of the land is more understandable and relatively clear cut!

I'm not sure that would help me understand it much! On the radio today they we saying how having a more flexible system actually helps stop things like this. But maybe they would say that.

In the media -including Corbyn are using the term illegal, which is incorrect.

What is UNLAWFUL?
That which is contrary to law. “Unlawful” and “illegal” are frequently used as synonymous terms, but, in the proper sense of the word, “unlawful,” as applied to promises, agreements, considerations, and the like, denotes that they are ineffectual in law because they involve acts which, although not illegal, i. e., positively forbidden, are disapproved of by the law, and are therefore not recognized as the ground of legal rights, either because they are immoral or because they are against public policy

Which law did he break?
He broke constitutional/parliamentary law.

Which is not a criminal offence.

However should he try to do it again, that would be contempt of court which is.

But here is where it gets tricky.

The PM would be in contempt, but would Boris be personally?

Hence why I say that we must have a written constitution which irons all this out.

Unlawful as per the legal dictionary definition posted by @Notch7 means without lawful authority. An example might be arguing someone owes you money for a service without a contract obliging you to pay.

Hence why I say that we must have a written constitution which irons all this out.
He broke no law then..

1. incorrect
2. correct, because it doesn't exist
3. it would need judicial review
4. MPs need to define the law - it doesn't need to be constitutional, which btw we already have.

It's hilarious that quitters accuse remainers of using every legitimate tactic to delay/derail Brexit...

And they then start doing the same themselves (and now using illegitimate tactics by ignoring the highest court in the land) in defence of their lying tin pot dictator when he has acted unlawfully!

They appear not to want to live in a lawful democracy and are in blind pursuit of something that cannot be had...

Brexit truly is a cult!

Sponsored Links
Back