boxing in for a WC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a close coupled WC to install, but the waste pipe is 12" from the wall, hence a big gap from the back of the cistern to the wall. So I believe I need to create some sort of boxing in to give me something to screw the cistern to.

What materials should I use? Batten size? plasterboard or hardboard?

The room is only 3' wide.

Please help!

Sponsored Links
this problem of swapping a flush pipe toilet to close coupled, where the soil pipe is set in the floor, occurs a lot these days. there is a pan connector available, shaped like a question mark, that will get you closer to the wall by an inch or two. if its more, then, some fitters just fix a single timber batten, say 75x50mm p.a.r. to the wall at cistern screw height, then fix the cistern ( that is if you have a screw fix type, some c.c. pans don't anymore) to the batten. hope this helps!

loft25

sorry ...I thought you meant the soil pipe was coming through the wall at the back ,lol ;)

Sponsored Links
So did I so I kept quiet :oops: Us e a sheet of 22mm MDF cut to fit across.just seal the cut edges with oil undercoat before fixing.

I just used 2x2 batons to create the frame and used 9.5mm thk plasterboard to cover the frame, using drywall fixing screws. Remove the top of the cistern and put a couple of 'blobs' of silicon in the gap behind the cistern and your new plasterboard box(if your cistern isnt one of those which screws to the wall)

nellymcl said:
I just used 2x2 batons to create the frame and used 9.5mm thk plasterboard to cover the frame, using drywall fixing screws. Remove the top of the cistern and put a couple of 'blobs' of silicon in the gap behind the cistern and your new plasterboard box(if your cistern isnt one of those which screws to the wall)

Thanks I used battening and 12.5mm plasterboard. Not sure I'm cut out (excuse the pun) for joinery! Better stick to the plumbing :LOL: :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back