Brexit - a reality check!

Every Brexit voter I have ever talked to states their number 1 reason for voting Brexit was to close the borders to uncontrolled economic migration. The overwhelming reason for this is because it drives down their wages.

These aren't civil servants, managers, business owners, teachers, police officers or any of the many other professions that are not affected by the mass influx of cheap labour, these are the factory workers, builders trades, general labourers, HGV drivers etc etc. The working class people who feel the Labour party has deserted them.

If you cannot understand this then you are part of the problem.

Sponsored Links
And of course, many, many ex-pats were denied a vote in the referendum.
Why should ex-pats have a say in the place they have ex patriated themselves from? I moved out of Newham years ago and now live in Havering. I don’t get to vote what goes on in Newham anymore.

Last edited:
Every Brexit voter I have ever talked to states their number 1 reason for voting Brexit was to close the borders to uncontrolled economic migration.
Brexit was never going to solve that and it hasn't.

Brexiteers reasons for voting vary depending on what is on the news that particular week. Favourite reasons blur from overwhelmed NHS, schools general practitioners.. then to money issues and the payments we made to the EU.. then to foreigners taking our jobs then to.. EU telling us what to do and taking away our freedoms.
Now that every single reason for leaving has been tried and tested and soundly debunked, it's just a case for Smogg and his merry band of brexers to keep regurgitating discredited tired old tropes, to keep right wing morons and Wail readers' blood pressure up, for fear of losing that gammon hue.

I can accept your experience of the average voter, but who convinced them that immigration causes lower wages, and did they do any other research to convince themselves?
Who convinced then that immigrants are the cause of all the ills of the country, and did they do any research to convince themselves that the media stories were accurate?
My mates an HGV driver. He clearly remembers when the first wave of EU drivers entered the yard he worked from. There was no shortage of drivers, there were no lorries parked for lack of a driver. The first established drivers to be "managed out" of the cab were the european trampers, the drivers on 1wk+ tours of euroland. Then the UK trampers then the day drivers.

If you don't understand the term "managed out" then you don't live & work in the real world.

Before Brexit he says he experienced an ever downwards spiral of pay and terms & conditions, what we call "the race to the bottom" until gradually a lot of HGV drivers just gave it up & found other types of work.

Post Brexit, when they all went home, the industry is slowly recovering back to a decent job.

Sponsored Links
Now that every single reason for leaving has been tried and tested and soundly debunked,
But it hasn't has it.

My mate who was literally "managed out" of his chosen vocation has now returned to it because the pay & the T&C's have vastly improved because of Brexit.

But it hasn't has it.

My mate who was literally "managed out" of his chosen vocation has now returned to it because the pay & the T&C's have vastly improved because of Brexit.
Do you seriously think that people on this forum believe a single word you post?

"my mate" lol.

Before Brexit he says he experienced an ever downwards spiral of pay and terms & conditions, what we call "the race to the bottom" until gradually a lot of HGV drivers just gave it up & found other types of work.
What he doesn't know is that a lot of people have for rather a long time. Being in the EU - not really related.

I despise EU politicians as much as our own.

One of the most worrying aspects of Brexit was seeing Johnson brazenly change colours to become a hardcore Brexer from Remainer overnight - then forcing it through on an ocean of lies, deceit and naked ambition. All while a pandemic raged across the world. This is when the penny should have dropped for those actually aware of what was unfolding. Weighing up the EU politicians and Johnson/Tories, I know who I'd would trust more: and it ain't the latter.

Every Brexit voter I have ever talked to states their number 1 reason for voting Brexit was to close the borders to uncontrolled economic migration. The overwhelming reason for this is because it drives down their wages.

These aren't civil servants, managers, business owners, teachers, police officers or any of the many other professions that are not affected by the mass influx of cheap labour, these are the factory workers, builders trades, general labourers, HGV drivers etc etc. The working class people who feel the Labour party has deserted them.

If you cannot understand this then you are part of the problem.
that doesnt make much sense

the Labour party have only been in power for a small part of the last 50 years

and ironically the factory workers, builders trads, general labourers, HGV drivers etc etc are affected more by brexit economic damage than they are by wage increases

I'm still looking fruitlessly for (i) a Brexit roadmap which would detail the steps that Johnson and co were going to follow and (ii) an economic assessment by the Government of Brexit, on the grounds that every responsible government does detailed economic assessment of all of its' policies. I am yet to find either

Well they shouldn’t be. They left so they should have no say.
Well, the government passed a law (many years ago) which permits it, so it must be right, surely? If not, I suggest you write to your MP. Foreign nationals coming here don't have an immediate right to vote either, you know.

How do you feel about prisoners on remand having the right to vote?

You are welcome to your opinion, but:
"The right to take part in the conduct of public affairs, and the right to vote and to be elected to government are at the core of democratic governance based on the consent of the people. The right of political participation should be exercised through free and fair elections."
OK. Could all those that were in the losing side of the referendum and the GE please now STFU! ;)

Sponsored Links
Back