Bricking a window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could anyone suggest the best way of bricking up this window inside and out. I am getting another window fitted in the room. Would the window need to be removed first? I will not be doing the plastering myself I will get someone in to do that.

Attachments

• 274BD625-0732-4F93-B766-27837DB7AE7B.jpeg
    274BD625-0732-4F93-B766-27837DB7AE7B.jpeg
    100.1 KB · Views: 70
  • 71A8A7AC-15D8-4DB3-BD2A-C457D2912F9A.jpeg
    71A8A7AC-15D8-4DB3-BD2A-C457D2912F9A.jpeg
    70.3 KB · Views: 67
Sponsored Links
Presumably the new window will be some distance from the existing window?

Start by removing the window frame, the interior trim & window board - and the interior & external corner beads.
Hack off the the reveals back to masonry to expose and open the cavity where possible.
The external window sill will need removing.

You have a choice of bricking up the external skin to butt up to the cheeks of the opening or keying out the bricks.
Either way presumably the render will be made good.

Internally, you best use blockwork to block up the internal skin, simply butt it up, & then plaster to make good.

If you have existing cavity insulation then fix the now bricked up opening with similar insulation - eg cavity batts.

Whatever lintel(s) you come across - leave well alone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back