Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,
New to the forum and about to buy my first house.

This house has a conservatory with no seperation from the main house. So the whole of the ground floor back wall has been removed.

Anyway, one side of the conservatory is a dwarf wall and uPVC DG windows which look out onto the neighbours fence.
I would like to remove the windows and raise the dwarf wall up to the roof (polycarb). The reason for this is i want the new kitchen to run along the length of this wall.

I dont know anything more about the foundations etc. The wall in question is about 3 metres long.
I know this may fall under BRegs etc. So i just want to know is this feasible and has anyone done it?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Would something like that be able to support kitchen units? would condensation be an issue? That would certainly be a cheaper option than brickwork.
Also would i need to check foundations just for that one wall to be bricked up?

You won't be allowed to put a kitchen in a conservatory.... If it has a kitchen in it, it's seen as an extension and if it's an extension, you'll have to involve building regs

Sponsored Links
The kitchen is already in there open plan kitchen/conservatory

Did you put the kitchen in there? You're not supposed to have a kitchen in a conservatory? If you involve Building Regs, they may well object to this....

No i am buying the house. It was already like that. I assume they had the relevent permission.

Any other input regarding being able to replace side windows with a full brick wall?

As long as the studs/ battens are adequate and if necessary strategically placed then it will be adequate or fitting some 18mm plywood behind the foil backed plasterboard it would be fine. Some rigid insulation inbetween the studs and fit a trickle vent in the top of the windows if there's not one already.

If you want, then yes, you can easily batten up the wall, insulate it and finish it. I'd have looked at bringing the price down on that very basis though - If you're looking to put a cooker in there, there's a real fire risk with that set up though and I'd be careful.

I just read the original post again and I'd make sure that your solicitor checks all the paperwork for the conservatory. As there are no doors between the house and the conservatory, it falls into the realms of being an 'extension' rather than a conservatory. in this situation, building regs should also have been informed. I'd check that the vendor has done this.

If not and if you're looking to get a mortgage on the place, you may have a problem with the lender refusing to lend..... Also building regs are generally not happy with cookers placed under polycarb roofs and so that may cause you issues if you're looking to move the cooker out there too.

As said the conservatory is now an extension. I would say that it was built with out the relevant controls and permissions, which makes me wonder on the size/construction of the full width beam that is supporting the upper back wall.
About 5 years ago, when I was buying houses there were quite a few with all sort of novelty features, like your extension/ bedrooms in lofts. . . I had a chuckle at the pictures but did not bother to view. Two houses I did view had bedrooms in the loft (not described in estate agents blurb), but I did not regard them as rooms, just a clean storage area. Did not buy either.
Frank

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back