Britcoin.. end of cash in hand?

Nothing is said about their attitude, but neither does it not say they weren't made aware.
Given that Lockdown / Covid has been with us 18 months, most people understand that many places don't take cash.

AFAIK in those circumstances the customer is wrong as the shopkeeper/cafe owner is entitled to refuse cash.
I know that you can't refuse "legal tender" for a debt but doubt payment for a meal post consumption counts as a debt in that way?

Sponsored Links
I think the frustration with 'spoons is they never have enough staff to take the orders either way. I find the app a lot better as at least you don't have to queue at the bar, to not be served.

I know that you can't refuse "legal tender" for a debt but doubt payment for a meal post consumption counts as a debt in that way?
Surely the clue is in 'legal tender' rather than 'for a debt'.

Are people expected to read all signs and notices when entering a cafe or shop?

I don't get this. How would this work with the pound - surely we'd still need pounds for international trade etc.

Sounds very gimmicky.

I've hardly used cash for years now, when contactless payments came to the local pub, I pretty much stopped carrying cash.

Sponsored Links
"It could also be quicker and cheaper to make online payments and transfer money "

How exactly? If you shop online, the speed it takes is determined by the website and payment gateway, not by the currency. Pretty much no websites charge a fee to the consumer. And with my Barclays app, money transfers are fast enough already.

All sounds a bit fishy ... I wonder which company will win the contract to deliver Britcoin.

we'd still need pounds for international trade etc.

international trade is carried out in a medium of exchange acceptable to both parties.

typically the Euro or the US dollar; to a smaller but increasing exent the Chinese Renminbi.

When foreign exchange is in short supply, barter is sometimes used, for example a commodity of known value such as steel or sugar.

Surely the clue is in 'legal tender' rather than 'for a debt'.

Are people expected to read all signs and notices when entering a cafe or shop?

"legal tender" doesn't mean what most people believe it does.

You might have heard someone in a shop say: “But it’s legal tender!”. Most people think it means the shop has to accept the payment form. But that’s not the case.

A shop owner can choose what payment they accept. If you want to pay for a pack of gum with a £50 note, it’s perfectly legal to turn you down. Likewise for all other banknotes, it’s a matter of discretion. If your local corner shop decided to only accept payments in Pokémon cards that would be within their right too. But they’d probably lose customers.

Legal tender has a narrow technical meaning which has no use in everyday life. It means that if you offer to fully pay off a debt to someone in legal tender, they can’t sue you for failing to repay.

Back