Britcoin.. end of cash in hand?

Sponsored Links
Because thats what places do. They have signs on the door, they have notices on the wall, they have it printed on their menus.

Plus, unless these customers were aggressive gobsh*tes who actually wanted an argument, they would not have behaved the way they did.

If they really didnt know about the rule because they really hadnt been told about it they would have politely pointed that out, saying "sorry, but you dont tell people that, so how were we supposed to know? What can we do now, as its too late, you really should tell people about this rule".

If they werent aggressive gobsh*tes they wouldnt have behaved in the way that wgt52 described.

What you call cash is either a number stamped on a disk of metal or a number written on a piece of paper.

Bitcoin is a number written on a screen.

How are they any different if they are all legal tender?

Most folk don't understand cash, so digital currencies will make their heads explode.

Because thats what places do. They have signs on the door, they have notices on the wall, they have it printed on their menus.

Plus, unless these customers were aggressive gobsh*tes who actually wanted an argument, they would not have behaved the way they did.

If they really didnt know about the rule because they really hadnt been told about it they would have politely pointed that out, saying "sorry, but you dont tell people that, so how were we supposed to know? What can we do now, as its too late, you really should tell people about this rule".

If they werent aggressive gobsh*tes they wouldnt have behaved in the way that wgt52 described.

As usualy Himmy, you're talking bowlux. I recently visited a pub that had reopened after being closed for a long time (pre-Covid). First bad sign was they had no ale (supposed to be coming soon), so I chose a pint of cider instead. He poured the pint then as I went to hand over cash, told me they no longer take cash. Bit embarrasing, but he said I could have the pint anyway.

So no prior warning before ordering. You seem to know everything about the situation in wgt52's post, but you weren't there to witness the situation. So your opinions can be safely ignored - as per usual.

Sponsored Links
Why is it most pubs I visit have an app while old folk queue for ages to get served.

I live by cards also apart from the Eastern European shops that sell knock off fags will only accept cash.

Why is it most pubs I visit have an app while old folk queue for ages to get served.

I live by cards also apart from the Eastern European shops that sell knock off fags will only accept cash.

Perhaps because they cannot use the app as they are too old to understand it, trust it etc.
Perhaps they don't want to install an app for every establishment they go into, perhaps they have not got an app capable phone, perhaps they have arthritis and cannot physically order a pint on the phone.
Perhaps they don't want to fall into the trap of how easy it is to spend via electronic devices and would rather use cash.
Perhaps they only have todays cash from under the mattress and not from in a bank, perhaps they prefer the interaction with someone after being isolated for so long.

Perhaps....... many more reasons....

Let's mix up the question, why do people drive into and use a petrol pump that's capable of "pay at pump" then go inside and pay by card?
Lol....

It's a bizarre time we are living in. I have spent money in places that say "sorry cash only" and I've spent money in places that say "sorry no cash card/electronic transactions only".

Ho hum. No dramas to this chicken. I'm a wizz with Samsung Pay now.:mrgreen:

I think the only place I use cash nowdays is when I put a quid in the supermarket trolley. Oh, and a quid in the Marks's or Waitrose parking meters. I’d have no problem paying with cash but I wouldn’t like to receive some grubby notes or coins in change - you don’t know who's sweaty hands they’ve been in!

t'other way round here, nobody queuing at the bar, everybody on their phones ordering. I go to the bar and get served instantly ;)

I think the only place I use cash nowdays is when I put a quid in the supermarket trolley. Oh, and a quid in the Marks's or Waitrose parking meters. I’d have no problem paying with cash but I wouldn’t like to receive some grubby notes or coins in change - you don’t know who's sweaty hands they’ve been in!

I drilled one of those tokens, so it fits via a tiny tiewrap onto my key ring - so keys and token remain attached to the trolley until I return it. Often as not, there will be an abandoned trolley, which someone was too lazy or in too much of a hurry to return it, to recover their pound.

With the Wetherspoons app it sometimes takes longer to get your pint than it does to drink it.

You order a pint on the app, the barman looks at the screen with your order on it, you then have to wait until he decides to pull your pint, its sits going flat along with all the drinks ordered by other punters on the app.

At some point someone else will decide to bring you your pint, on the other hand they may decide not to bring you your pint because they are too busy serving all day breakfasts and pizzas to other punters.

Meanwhile you sit and watch your pint sitting on the counter, you go and ask the barman about your pint and he says go and sit down and a member of staff will bring it to you, but they never do.
It is all very frustrating.

Last edited:
Meanwhile you sit and watch your pint sitting on the counter, you go and ask the barman about your pint and he says, go and sit down and a member of staff will bring it to you, but they never do.
It is all very frustrating.

I never got around to needing to use the app in spoons, but every time I have been in for a rare breakfast, it has been near cold by the time it was delivered to me. Last time there, in addition to the app - they had staff going round collecting orders from the tables and returning with the breakfast still hot. That worked rather well :)

On a couple of occasions I have complained about food being served cold and been offered a free one.

Sponsored Links
Back