British Gas and personal Gas safe registration

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hey guys,

not sure if this is the right forum, but I have a question regarding Gas safe registration.

As many of you will know, British Gas do not allow their engineers to have their own gas safe registrations. At the moment, they are heavily looking into this and sacking engineers found to have their own reg. Now, I work for BG and make quite a lot of money from CP12's. My family also have a lot of properties and will now have to pay someone to do the CP12's for them as I have now cancelled my one. It makes me mad to think that they have someone in the family who is qualified to do the work for them (free of charge) but they have to pay someone else to do it.

Do any of you know of any way around this for me? Obviously I make a lot more money from BG than I do from PJ's but Id still like to keep doing the CP12's if at all possible.

Thanks guys

Sponsored Links
Leave BG or suck it up. Thems the rules.

However carry on doing the CP12s if you like and if they will hunt you down like a dog lol :D

It appears that you have a few options. Either leave BG and work for your family that have a lot of properties ( must have something to keep you going ) Stay with BG and hand your card in and forget about the PJ's, or , stay with BG and still carry out the PJ's hoping that you don't get found out.
It depends on your concience and of course, your ability ;)

I have no problem carrying on doing the PJ's, but I obviusly cant do the CP12's as I have already cancelled my Gas safe registration. I was just wondering if there was anyway of having a gas safe registration without BG finding out about it. I dont know how they're searching for people, postcodes etc etc.

The point you make about my family, as i said earlier, I dont charge them for anything I do. And it annoys me that although im fully qualified, they will have to pay soemone else to do a job that I could do for nothing.

Sponsored Links
I shouldn't worry too much about your family having to pay someone else as that cost will be tax-deductable as an expense against the costs of running the properties (and therefore less tax for them to pay).

If you did it (for free or not) then you would need some form of liability insurance just in case you got it wrong one time. It does happen!

I believe your national insurance number gives you away and it seems gas safe are in bg's pocket even quicker than corgi. You could take your boat assesment or something equally mind numbingly ridiculous that bg don't cover to explain your registration, but it wouldn't explain why you are still signing domestic landlord certs.
Times are hard and bg is struggling for work as much as anyone and they are very unlikely to let employees continually poach it from under their noses.

if i were BG, i would be worried whether i was breaching your human rights.Being a member of gassafe doesnt mean your actually doing any jobs for yourself.Dont think they can sack you unless they have a legitimate reason that affects their business.speak to the citizens advice.Have you signed a contract to say you wont be a member.

I have a problem with that aspect of BG.

Now doing private jobs can reasonably be a no-no as its putting you in competition with Bg's own business.

However, I cannot see any reason why they can stop you having your own GS registration.

However, all this trade talk should be in the CC as its not for public viewing.

Tony

i can't see the problem with BG not wanting engineers to have their own registration. My lot are the same. They pay for my ACS updates and training so why should they then allow me to go off and work in competition.

If you did it (for free or not) then you would need some form of liability insurance just in case you got it wrong one time. It does happen!

I already have my public liability, ive had it for 3 years now.

You could take your boat assesment or something equally mind numbingly ridiculous that bg don't cover to explain your registration, but it wouldn't explain why you are still signing domestic landlord certs.

But how would they know I was doing LL certs, unless they actually catch me? Its not as if they can even find out through Gas safe as nothing gets submitted to them either.

i can't see the problem with BG not wanting engineers to have their own registration. My lot are the same. They pay for my ACS updates and training so why should they then allow me to go off and work in competition.

BG havent paid for me to do anything. I paid to do all my training and for all my exams etc etc. BG have so far invested nothing in me, with regards to exams, training.

It was a long shot but I just wanted to know if there someway of being registered and making it hard for them to find me. If they were searching for engineers by their postcodes, then I possibly register to an address a bit further away. Like I said, I doubt Ill do but Id like to at least try and think of a way round it. I do the most over time on my patch too so its not as if im not putting in the hours for BG either.

i was told if ya do any work for family or friends which you are not getting payed for you could go through bg to sign it off. not sure if its true but it was a tsm who told me..
or ya could just do what alot of the lads do round ere, get one of there pals who have left for eon to do the paperwork :LOL:

i was told if ya do any work for family or friends which you are not getting payed for you could go through bg to sign it off. not sure if its true but it was a tsm who told me..
or ya could just do what alot of the lads do round ere, get one of there pals who have left for eon to do the paperwork :LOL:

How do the EON lads get away with it? Using the EON number or are they allowed their own reg?

Cant you do gaswork for your family without being gsr as long as you dont charge any money for it?allways wondered if i ever went to BG if i could get away with keeping mine as its got lpg on it and say i did caravan work,as thats not in competition with them,

if there using postcodes, GSR shouldn't be passing information to anyone using NI numbers if they are sue them for data protection breach. only times they should confirm your registration is as follows:

1. Someone calls with a reg number to ask if your reg
2. Legal investigation TS, Police, OFT etc
3. Web Search By Postcode or Business Name

Anything else would be a breach and i would tell them so and say if they pass your details on you will sue.

Now for registering....

Get a Registered Address about 100 miles away from where you are (buy from net anywheere from £60 - 300) set up LTD company, register that company with gas safe using you as an engineer, that way the company is GS reg you through them and they shouldn't be able to find you via your POST CODE - Then write to GSR and tell them if they pass your details on to BG you WILL sue them under the Data Protection Act

How do the EON lads get away with it? Using the EON number or are they allowed their own reg?

cant see EON being happy for them to sign off work on their number so it has to be their own.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back