British Gas fixed price repair cover for potty profile

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys,

Anyone on here work for BG? Friend of mine has a Potty profile that is not igniting on first attempt, had a quick look at it, was round there for something else and heard it doing this. It looked like it had a permanent pilot light as well !!!

Do BG still have the required parts or will they come up as unavailable although parts required to fix are available. Say if it is a new PCB (assume this is under half hour repair), and new gas valve also can be fitted in under half an hour but guess she will be charged in the 2 hour bracket if both parts needed (assuming they are listed on BG database as available), otherwise big loss for BG

Sponsored Links
Don't have anything to do with BG.

Just get a local guy in and they will have it up and running in no time.

Profile doesn't have a PP IIRC. Sure its not a Prima?

Don't see why they would cover it, but a Local guy should fit both in an hour and charge accordingly.

Agreed with local indy. I reckon on possible stuck solenoid on GV and the famous PCB issue causing the problems with starting. Parts looking at 200 plus so BG should be cheaper.

Everything is working albeit slowly if it decides not to fire. But cannot ignore the permanent pilot due to obvious safety concerns

Sponsored Links
Parts will be listed for it and available next day countrywide.

You will not get it for the 30 minute repair....that is taking the pish. :LOL:

Ok thanks for that. Wonder how often half an hour repair actually happens, if it was fixed price based on repair and not time, and engineer got paid for the amount of fixes he done a day I am sure the gas valve and PCB would be fitted, gas tightness checked and safety devices confirmed working in well under half an hour so quickly off to next job to earn some more :evil:

Ok thanks for that. Wonder how often half an hour repair actually happens, if it was fixed price based on repair and not time, and engineer got paid for the amount of fixes he done a day I am sure the gas valve and PCB would be fitted, gas tightness checked and safety devices confirmed working in well under half an hour so quickly off to next job to earn some more :evil:

Unlikely in any scenario. Profile GV change can be an arse with limited access and all that crap crammed in there at the bottom.

BG engineers technically do get paid by repair already which is why the lazy ones don't fix anything. It's a heavily flawed system though....that's why even more doesn't get fixed. :LOL:

I think I have done a handful of 30 minute repairs out of hundreds. 30 mins is barely enough to do all the crappy electrical checks, paperwork, hunt for system components, rake in the van for parts. The 30 minute repairs are for silly customers that can't light a pilot light or reset clocks and the like.

fix price repairs only cover 1 fault (unless related) so id charge for both! :evil: £199 for gas valve then £79 for the pcb

Just been round there and it has got a permanent pilot. Phoned her on Saturday morning and she said it wasn't on, but the boiler is mounted high up and she cant see it at the angle she is at.

Boiler is deffo a profile 50e

profile 50e should not have a permanent pilot, its called an 50e because its electronic ignition.
A common fault.

Yes that was my cause for concern as I would imagine that that this is potentially very dangerous

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back