british gas query/argument

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
was having argument with engineer from our company. This was based on the services they do or used to do, where if they only gas rated the boiler, and never touched the gas supply,/they never did or had to do a tightness test. Any old /new bg engineers shed some light on this.

Sponsored Links
OK, if I understand correctly the question is:
Do you have to do a tightness test on a service?
The answer is no.

what about turning the gas isolation off at boiler to check fsd working during service though

Sponsored Links
What about it? are you suggesting carrying out a TT because you isolated the boiler?

i hear u guys, just throwing up some theories on what could happen. Potentially, although unlikely, a leak could be created by turning isolation valve which ldf may not detect. I always TT before and after service to err on the side of caution, even when not required.,

i hear u guys, just throwing up some theories on what could happen. Potentially, although unlikely, a leak could be created by turning isolation valve which ldf may not detect. I always TT before and after service to err on the side of caution, even when not required.,

what you choose to do is comendable but not mandatory so the BG guy is 100% correct
as long as someone complies with the regs then that is all that needs to be done, i'm not a BG fan, but they like the rest of us are a registered company not a registered charity,
on your point it very unlikely to leak because it was turned off, where would it leak from? and you could then apply your theory to a gas bayonet or an ECV (so when you have done your TT how do you confirm the ECV isnt leaking at the inlet side? LDF i assume, the gas regs are very clear on when we should/must do a TT

on your point it very unlikely to leak because it was turned off, where would it leak from? and you could then apply your theory to a gas bayonet or an ECV (so when you have done your TT how do you confirm the ECV isnt leaking at the inlet side? LDF i assume, the gas regs are very clear on when we should/must do a TT

Those who do but dont teach know better!

I was conned by this fellow who seemed so plausible! He met me in the tenanted house, paid me in advance, left me keys and told me to check the boiler and leave the keys under the mat afterwards.

The boiler had been turned off at the boiler gas cock! That usually means to me that someone has condemmned it ! But there were no signs of any stickers or any recent work.

I turned on the boiler and found the pilot flame too small so cleaned the assembly and made it hold OK .

But as I was still suspicious, I put out the pilot and did a TT ! It was leaking from the shaft of the gas cock!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back