Bs1362 characteristics

Ok, done some research today. Karcher who make the machine, supply it with a 13A plug as standard. :eek:
I was actually going to ask if you really are sure that its 3.4kW (or needs to be treated as 3.4kW - see below). If it were made for, or even with consideration of, the UK market, that would seem rather odd - being theoretically just fractionally too much for a 13A plug/fuse. If the 3.4kW relates to 240V, then that would equate to roughly 13.6A at 230V.

As I said before, assuming that it's thermostatically controlled, there's the possible invocation of 'diversity' ('over-time diversity'). If it were a 3.4kW (at 240V) cooking appliance, then OSG guidance would make the after-diversity current (at 240V) about 12.5A. At 230V (which is the figure we are meant to use for calculations), the after-diversity current would (assuming 3.4kW at 240V) be only about 11.1A.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
It is a commercial machine, so I would have expected a 16A plug to be honest. The website states the power as 3.4kW.
The pump is the electrical load, and so not thermostatically controlled. The boiler is fired by a diesel burner.

It is a commercial machine, so I would have expected a 16A plug to be honest. The website states the power as 3.4kW. The pump is the electrical load, and so not thermostatically controlled. The boiler is fired by a diesel burner.
Oh - that's obviously rather different from what I was envisaging! It must be a pretty hefty pump (with an equally hefty start-up current!)!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
A four-and-a half horsepower motor? Dammit, that's almost big enough to fit in a small car!
That's what I thought. Something here just doesn't seem to add up. If electricity is not providing the water heating, I would have expected the electric side of it to be far less than 3.4kW!

flyingsparks: - exactly how big is this machine? ... and where do the the exhaust gases from the diesel water heater go - it surely doesn't pollute at the same time that it cleans?!

Kind Regards, John

From page 39 of downloadable manual:

Makes a slight difference

.................................HDS 7/9.. HDS 7/10 ..HDS 7/12
Main SupplyVoltage...... V 100........ 240........... 230
Current type Hz ...........1~ 50...... 1~ 50 ........1~ 50
Connected load kW..........3,2......... 3,1............ 3,4

From page 39 of downloadable manual: Makes a slight difference
Indeed. That, of course, could make things slightly worse - we were assuming that the 3.4kW related to 240V. We don't know which model we're talking about, but if it's "HDS 7/12", then that would require nearly 14.8A at 230V.

I have to say that it's not obvious from the manual whether this (large) device is intended for indoor use at all - as I asked before, where do the exhaust gases from the diesel burner go?

Kind Regards, John

I have to say that it's not obvious from the manual whether this (large) device is intended for indoor use at all - as I asked before, where do the exhaust gases from the diesel burner go?

Kind Regards, John

No it is an external machine the exhaust gases simply go off to help warm the planet.

Indeed. That, of course, could make things slightly worse - we were assuming that the 3.4kW related to 240V. We don't know which model we're talking about, but if it's "HDS 7/12", then that would require nearly 14.8A at 230V.
Well, yes but I presumed the 240/3.1 would be for British sales.

The model presented is the 7/10.

Well, yes but I presumed the 240/3.1 would be for British sales. The model presented is the 7/10.
It's all very confusing. The Specification for the 7/10 on the page linked to by flyingsparks gives the power as 3.4kW, which I presume is what he was going by. However, as you say, the table in the manual indicates that the 7/10 is 240V/3.1 kW (and the 7/12 as 230V 3.4 kW). You're certainly right that those figures would be consistent with the 7/10 being for the UK market (and OK for a 13A plug/fuse) - but it would seem bizarre that they should quote the power for the UK at 240V and that for elsewhere (e.g. the 7/12) at 230V!

Kind Regards, John

I remember some vacuum cleaners which were supplied with a 16 A yellow plug arriving on site at Sizewell Power station construction where the site transformers had B16 MCB's on each outlet.

We were forever being called to these machines as they were drawing with all three motors running around 20A. It would seem most sites had a B20 MCB to a pair of 16A sockets so on most sites they ran OK.

In this case we could either convert to three phase 16A as the transformers had 3 phase outlets or fit with 32A plug.

But with the High Pressure Washer although it would work OK with a B32 MCB on a ring with the start current one wondered what it would do when plugged into a radial with a B16 or B20 MCB?

That Sizewell site caught out many hire companies as Nuclear Electric were very hot on electrical site safety be it a welding machine supplied with flex instead of braided supply cable or 20A MCB's on a 16A outlet.

Some day he will find a 13A socket fed from a B16 and so he will need a unit which will run on that supply. I am sure we have all seen it with electric welders plugged into a ring they work but on a 16A radial they fail. Unless motor is inverter controlled likely it will trip a B16 MCB.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back