BT line hanging from the pole

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we had an extension and the the phone line got disconnected from our house, coiled and hooked on the telegraph pole. We don't use the line and don't want to but it is now hanging down and think we should either get it disconnected from the pole or re attached to the house.
Do i have to go to BT? What will they charge?? OR can i use a local telecoms guy to do the work?

Thanks

Tim

Sponsored Links
was it open reach that disconnected it??
its there wire you need them to disconnect the line officially
if your not using the line you need to conntact the line provider and ask them to disconnect at the exchange to save paying the standing charge

Report it to BT as a fault, they normally do this with broken wires so I assume they do it with disconnected ones as well.

In the meantime tie it round the pole if it reaches far enough down to whip someone's eye out.

Sponsored Links
Erm...i don't know who cut it as we have never used the line and didn't notice it had gone. i have contacted the BT openreach damage line on 0800 3289393
To be fair they called back really quickly and have said they will be there tonight or tomorrow!! I just hope i don't get charged for it.

BT seem to be charging for anything they can get away with at the moment, just to look at it could cost £100.00

The external cable is BTs responsibility.

Contact them and say the dangling cable is a potential means for a youngster to strangle themselves.

They will have it sorted before you know.

Hi, we had an extension and the the phone line got disconnected from our house, coiled and hooked on the telegraph pole

Erm...i don't know who cut it as we have never used the line and didn't notice it had gone.

Have I missed a part, not sure I understand. Did you have the line taken away when you got the extension? or was it already removed before the extension was built?

You cant be billed since you dont have an account with them any longer.....all you have done is helpfully pointed out as a member of the public that a wire is in a dangerous way and needs their attention.

We had a nightmare recently when a hollow fibreglass distribution pole on our street corner broke; a steel ring that secured all the lines broke free from a rusty bolt and shot up inside to the top of the pole, allowing all the lines to hang slack. We were without a telephone for two weeks while BT faffed around getting everything spectacularly wrong. They were astonishingly incompetent in getting a new pole erected.

Everything up to the master socket is their responsibility.
not any more we were billed for a BT wire that went across our garden that they claim our tree had damaged. our insurance paid for it.

Everything up to the master socket is their responsibility.
not any more we were billed for a BT wire that went across our garden that they claim our tree had damaged. our insurance paid for it.

Which has been there longest, the tree or the BT cable?
If the tree was there before the cable was put across, even if it was a sapling, then I would have told BT to naff off.

An obvious lack of foresight by whoever was responsible for the installation of the second item. i.e. If the wire was there first and you planted the tree then you are at fault. If the tree was already there before BT installed the cable then its their own fault.

Will they give the tree free weekend calls to landlines as compensation if it wins?

Sponsored Links
Back