BT sticking it to Sky broadband customers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some will remember that I moved from BT to Sky for our broadband. Well it turned out that Sky buys bandwidth from BT :rolleyes: And the result is that BT gives it's rivals as little as it can as often as it can.

Sponsored Links
Not my personal experience with Sky, AJS. ;) ;)

Speedtest varies wildly between servers fairly close to one another (geographically) . Try testing your speed with a server in another country (USA or Australia) Your connection speed, will only ever be as fast as the connection at the server your testing your connection to..(or any server in between) Could be their connection speed, is slow for whatever reason ( If say they were connected at 2Mb/sec, you ain't going to get a result that's faster than that) ;) ;)

You get preferential treatment up there though jock :evil:

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Could be , there's not as many on Sky though. Have a look on the Sky forums though AJS. There are problems which Sky blame on BT,,, when you know in your heart that it's a problem with Sky (probably not put a shilling in the meter) ;) ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
I have spoken to Sky technical many times over the last few months and they have agreed to cancel our contract so that we can go back to BT with our tails between our legs :oops:

Not mine either:

I think you have serious issues with your line or equipment.

I had similar issues for a couple of years (intermittently) convinced it is a problem with my BT line (I also had noise on the line intermittently), the problem was when the engineers came all was fine and they couldn't do anything. I offered to pay for a new line but told they were unable to do this! I gave up in the end and switched to Virgin Media when the contract ended

No one has been out to check the line but they have run checks at their end.

:rolleyes:

Sky say that they buy bandwidth from bt wholesale who squeeze it at times of high demand and there is nothing they can do to improve it.

Try getting an engineer visit and ask them to check your profile at the exchange. Mine suddenly dropped from around 19m to 2m. After 3 engineer visits the 4th checked my profile. Someone at the exchange had hit the wrong key and dropped it from 20 down to 2.

/thread hijack

(£$"*&%£$ BT, they have been buggering up my bill for the last several months, they seem incapable of simply billing me on a regular date, then they put me on a payment plan, insisting it has to be paid within 3 months (quarterly), then cutting me off when I didnt pay for the whole 3 months upfront (which they specifically said in an e-mail didnt need to be done).

And then randomly increasing the amount they wanted to charge me by 50%, admitting the mistake, and saying the only way they can offer a refund is if we claim through the bank.

Utter shower of $%(*, how they can fail to do something as basic as take a direct debit on a set date is unbelievable.

Hmmm. I guess those gradings make no distinction between copper and fibre. The one below obviously being copper.

3300916373.png

The way I see it if you are with sky ..or any other sp they supply the equipment in the exchange then the line if fed through the openreach network to your master socket and then sky supply you with a router so in reality bt have nothing to do with bandwith...look at the offers it says bb speed from

The way I see it if you are with sky ..or any other sp they supply the equipment in the exchange then the line if fed through the openreach network to your master socket and then sky supply you with a router so in reality bt have nothing to do with bandwith...look at the offers it says bb speed from

Sky do not always have equipment in the exchange. LLU is the exception, not the norm.

BT own and operate the majority of the infrastructure in the country.

Personally, I'll stick with a real ISP, not consumer crap:
3301933405.png

Could pay for faster, really no need.

Then you do not understand the reality of Sky's arrangement with BT. But then why would you.

Sponsored Links
Back