BT sticking it to Sky broadband customers

We don't even know what service the original poster of this thread has. Sky's regular broadband service? (llu) Sky fiber? sky broadband connect (BT wholesale based, used in those areas where sky does not have LLU equipment)? Each of these involves a different relationship between BT and sky.

Sponsored Links
The way I see it if you are with sky ..or any other sp they supply the equipment in the exchange then the line if fed through the openreach network to your master socket and then sky supply you with a router so in reality bt have nothing to do with bandwith...look at the offers it says bb speed from

Then you do not understand the reality of Sky's arrangement with BT. But then why would you.

As I said it is the way I see it ..did not say it was correct but enlighten me

whoops :oops: We are out in the sticks. It is standard broadband up to 8mbs. The same service we had from BT. We left BT due to the cost increasing to £42 a month. Sky said they could beat it and include a tv package for £37.

whoops :oops: We are out in the sticks. It is standard broadband up to 8mbs. The same service we had from BT. We left BT due to the cost increasing to £42 a month. Sky said they could beat it and include a tv package for £37.

Christ, that's near enough what I pay for a business class FTTC connection.

Sponsored Links
The way I see it if you are with sky ..or any other sp they supply the equipment in the exchange then the line if fed through the openreach network to your master socket and then sky supply you with a router so in reality bt have nothing to do with bandwith...look at the offers it says bb speed from

Then you do not understand the reality of Sky's arrangement with BT. But then why would you.

As I said it is the way I see it ..did not say it was correct but enlighten me

Still not enlightened ..but don't really care

sky will have service level agreements with Bt to supply a certain bandwidth, you will probably find if your exchange is remote sky have decided to rent a small pipe from Bt causing your speeds.

but hey, in what other industry is a ready made scapegoat that people will accept without question, so if they can blame Bt instead of their own economic choices then lucky for them.

Care to spill the beans ;)

http://www.enta.net/

I leave finding someone who will supply their services to a private customer as an exercise for the reader.

Still of no use if you are not in a fibre connected area. I guess you could have a fibre cable run from your nearest fibre enabled cabinet.

I enquired about this a few years ago, but was told my nearest connection was 3 miles away and that laying a cable just for little me would be more than my house was worth :D

We don't have fibre available on the industrial estate where my unit is but it is due in the next few years. So they (BT) told me six years ago :confused:

They are laying fibre cables in the larger villages around here at the moment but it won't be viable to run it to out laying homes.

This is something that annoys me. New estates are being built and it would be cheap and efficient to at least mandate that they are all at lesst fibre enabled. But no, yet another trick missed by this backward country.

Thread hijack, but relevant

British Telecom is so huge and unwieldy that the left hand and the right hand have no idea whatsoever what each other are doing. Some eight years ago I moved office, a move of less than 100 yards. At some idiot in BT sales's insistence, I installed new lines, on to which the broadband would be transferred. Needless to say, sales managed to f**k everything up and we were without broadband for over a week. The arrogant essodee told me it was not possible, or permitted for me to speak directly to the engineers, and everything had to "go through the system". When I advised it was their, BT Sales wallahs, screw-up, the cheeky b'stard hung up on me! It ended up I had to install YET ANOTHER PSTN line to get broadband back! I told the BT person that if Virgin Media could have provided service through their network, all BT equipment would have been ripped out and chucked down in the car park!

Now all our telephony is via a third party who DO have direct relations with BT Openreach (the part of BT which owns and maintains the cabling infrastructure). Far less stressful, the person I talk to knows what I am talking about and can talk directly to someone who will "fix it."

I despise BT. They are still, after 2 yrs, sending me bills for non-existent services they claim to still supply. Useless, incompetent, inept, stupid!

Sponsored Links
Back