Builder has left me with no heating!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I moved into my flat a while back, and hired a builder that I'd used a couple of times before to do the renovations (which included fitting a new kitchen, bathroom and moving and replacing some radiators).

To sum up a long story, my heating is now not working, and I can't get hold of the builder. I've left numerous messages, sent emails etc, but I guess these are all being ignored.

I got a plumber in who reckons that either there is a blockage in the pipe, or that there is a valve in the pipe that is shut. It cost £300 to confirm that diagnosis, and the quote for corrective work is £2k - which I cannot afford.

Can anyone advise what my options are???

Sponsored Links
Get another plumber, how can he spend all day on a job and not diagnose a fault?

I got a plumber in who reckons that either there is a blockage in the pipe, or that there is a valve in the pipe that is shut. It cost £300 to confirm that diagnosis, and the quote for corrective work is £2k

How much :eek: Wish I had been dragged up like some of these cowboys :evil:

I got a plumber in who reckons that either there is a blockage in the pipe, or that there is a valve in the pipe that is shut. It cost £300 to confirm that diagnosis, and the quote for corrective work is £2k

How much :eek: Wish I had been dragged up like some of these cowboys :evil:

me too, maybe I would have a bigger house and get a holiday now and again

:)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply.

The £300 was to find out why the radiators weren't taking water from the boiler - the options to fix were to take up the kitchen floor, or bypass the existing pipes. Either way, I couldn't afford to proceed.

The plumber isn't the issue - it's the builder who's gone awol!

Any helpful advice on possible action to be taken?

What type of system ,what make and model of boiler will all help

It's the cost of second opinions that's preventing me from getting one!
(Am in London)

The Alpha Boiler is old, but (apparently) functioning normally.

The hot water is fine - the heating thermostat triggers the boiler but it shuts off soon after and excessive pressure builds in the system. The second plumber could not get any air flow between the boiler and the closest radiators - leading to the conclusion of a block or shut valve.

The pipes are under the newly-tiled kitchen floor :cry:

Has the pump been checked properly? I don't mean just feeling it for vibrations. These can appear to feel as if they are working but in fact aren't.

Excessive fast over pressurisation could be a knackered expansion valve, assuming it is a combi or system boiler.

Appreciate the responses...

You've reached the ceiling of my technical knowledge here, but the 2nd plumber was CORGI registered and from a "reputable" (?) company, so assume that he would have figured that out?

As I mentioned - the boiler is otherwise working fine...

More details...

Boiler is a combi, floor is tiles on plasterboard (?)...why do you ask?

I'm getting the feeling that the recommended course of action is to give up on trying to get the orginal builder to take responsibility...

If it really is a blockage, it should be easy to get out unless it is superglue or cured cement. In which case it is easy to find out where the blockage is and replace that bit of pipe. As you may have figured out from the replies, you have been ripped off by the builder and the plumber who “diagnosed”
Any money you have not paid either of them, keep it. if amount or repairs turns out large enough, you have various options of redress
By the way, it is not uncommon for isolation valves to spin loose. Cut the pipe under the boiler, and see if you can get a flow from there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back