Builder Hitting an external gas pipe - causing a leak. Do I have to pay for the repair?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've hired a builder to lay a MDPE pipe and he hit a yellow gas pipe (underground) and caused a gas leak.

Cadent came out and fixed it on the day. The builder just told me about it now and was asking that we go halves on the cost. I said OK on the phone but with hindsight I'm thinking he is liable - and dont builders have insurance to cover for stuff like this? He's registered with the NHBC

Also does anyone know what the cost is for something like this?

Sponsored Links
Yes he should absolutely be insured for that, and if he isn't then more fool him. Not your problem. His NHBC registration isn't relevant though.

The cost will be whatever Cadent decide on the day. Too many variables to give even the vaguest estimation without more details. Your builder might be able to argue the cost if the pipe wasn't buried to the regulation depth, but that's not for you to get involved in

I'm in a bit of a tricky situation now because he's half way through the job and is actually a really nice guy.

I think I'll wait for him to finish and then say.. hang on, don't you have public liability insurance? This is exactly the kind of thing it's meant for.

From past experience, Cadent will almost definitely be chasing you for the money, especially if the builder does not co-operate. You can pass them the builder's indemnity details, but ultimately they will hold you liable. You may want to consider holding money back until the matter is settled.

Sponsored Links
Cadent will hold you liable as the property owner, you appointed the builder who caused the damage they won't care in the slightest about what insurances he does or doesn't have that's your problem.

He obviously isn't the nice guy you think he is as he thinks the answer to his cock up is you paying 50%, the issue now is after agreeing if you refuse he'll probably just slide the 50% onto the rest of your build cost through material price rises or the like

the annoying thing is that I did actually tell him there's a gas pipe running along that path. Well, I guess I'll keep you posted.. He just called me again asking if I needed any more work done after o_O

Just being civil with him at the moment. I'll ask him about the liability insurance on Monday - when I see him face to face. He really should have it - maybe he just doesn't realise he can claim

As already advised check the depth of the service and whether warning tape was fitted above it, if it is too shallow or no warning tape , just tell them you are not paying, for a long time moling has been used and the depths and there is no warning tapes used, if you get the facts you may be able to argue that it was never installed properly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back