Burying Dead pets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it allowed to bury dead pets in one's back garden? Are there any laws or regulations governing things such as depth, containers etc?

I dont have a dead pet on my hands, but it may be coming . . .

And I feel so guilty typing this in front of her :LOL: :oops:

What other options are available?

Sponsored Links
How about a visit to the vet?
If the day is imminent surely it is better to avoid the poor thing suffering and they will dispose honourably (usually). Small price to pay. Well, i thought so when we were in same situation earlier this year.

I don't know about burying them in the garden, but a friend of mine recently lost her dear German Shepherd and the vet arranged a cremation. It feels terrible to say it, but the little casket she got with his ashes is really lovely - the vet has went to a lot of trouble.

I have buried all our pets over the years in the garden and I feel I know where they are as with the vet I'm not sure what they do with dead animals

Also found this,

The Environment Agency says that no laws prevent people being buried in their own garden, but an authorisation form must be filled in, since decomposing corpses can pose a health risk to the living.

A garden grave must be situated more than 10 metres from standing water, at least 50 metres away from a drinking water source, and be deep enough to dissuade foxes from digging up the dearly departed.

It's also necessary to record the whereabouts of the grave and include this in the deeds of the property.

Sponsored Links
Is it allowed to bury dead pets in one's back garden? Are there any laws or regulations governing things such as depth, containers etc?

I dont have a dead pet on my hands, but it may be coming . . .

And I feel so guilty typing this in front of her :LOL: :oops:

What other options are available?

Just settle for a divorce.. :evil:

You can bury them anywhere and they are not considered a bio hazard.

Bury a large animal like dog or cat at least one metre down.

Don't send them to the incinerator as I've seen footage of them being loaded in with a pitchfork.

There are pet cemetaries where they are treated with a great deal of respect and the sites are maintained in very good condition.

There are pet cemetaries where they are treated with a great deal of respect and the sites are maintained in very good condition.

Probably better than most human cemeteries. Your local vet in probability will be able to offer a disposal service, usually cremation

There's one in Nottingham just like that, although I must admit I buried my son's dead pet up at his Grandparent's in their back garden, thankfully being a goldfish it didn't take up too much space. :D

Why are people talking about vets as if they care about animals? They are paid assassins that put animals down because their owners are too tight to pay for treatment. The RSPCA takes animals in that have been mistreated, makes them better - yet if they are not housed after 6 weeks they get the big injection and are tossed into an incinerator. That's vets for you that is.

We lost one of our cats earlier this year (old age, 17 yrs young) and I took the remains to the vet, after a prior visit, and they disposed of the remains for about £10. I don't know about the dignity of the operation but I suspect for that money not great. You can spend fortunes on a proper grave and ashes etc but..... better a happy memory I think and give the money to a deserving charity if you wish.

Why are people talking about vets as if they care about animals? They are paid assassins that put animals down because their owners are too tight to pay for treatment. The RSPCA takes animals in that have been mistreated, makes them better - yet if they are not housed after 6 weeks they get the big injection and are tossed into an incinerator. That's vets for you that is.

Thats right joe thats why people become vets because they hate animals :rolleyes:

You troll. :LOL: :LOL:

Thats right joe thats why people become vets because they hate animals :rolleyes:

You troll. :LOL: :LOL:

I don,t think joe-90 is quite clever enough to be a Troll, every one has seen through his posts, and he is now just humoured.

If you took your wife to the doctor and he said that she needed an expensive operation to save her life or he could give her an injection and put her out of her misery - would you say he cared about people? If he administered the injection he would be charged with murder.

Now substitute your pet for your wife in the above scenario.

Sponsored Links
Back