Business people

thats a bit steep £35 quid an hour for a pooly trained pooly qualified back door merchant isnt it? an that isnt even gas work! outragous. bet if you put on the side of your van how you came by those mickey mouse C&G certs you have youd have no work!!!

Sponsored Links
Not another embittered 5 year apprenticeship justifier. :rolleyes: Some people need years to learn a skill, as I imagine you did, others who are older with lots of life experience and practical skills can adapt these with the right training.

£175 @ 6 hours works out at £30 p.h. If you can't clear that sort of money in this area for instance, fitting 2 or 3 rads, then you are doing something wrong. Of course its not hour in hour out, day in day out. But still beats what I did before.

Tell me which aspect of plumbing takes years and years to learn, or which plumbing job needs to be repeated over and over again before it sinks in. Yes sometimes I do meet something above my experience, but knowing where to find the answer is important. Did your years of learning before you became profficient Mr Onlyfitideal boilers (Ideal - I hope not) mean that you are a slow learner?

I just done it the right way. the only way.

iam 99.9% sure if we where all made to prove are quals you would find yourself in the dole q.

I mean why on earth would anyone pay 5k for one of these plumbing courses when you only get intermediate certs. what if you wanted to immigrate or something they wont recognise them.

I just done it the right way. the only way.

iam 99.9% sure if we where all made to prove are quals you would find yourself in the dole q.

I mean why on earth would anyone pay 5k for one of these plumbing courses when you only get intermediate certs. what if you wanted to immigrate or something they wont recognise them.

1)It might be the rght way for some, especially school leavers with no practical skills, but you don't need 5 years to learn plumbing if you already have practical skills. Five year apprenticeships were a way of getting virtually free labour in the old days, whilst the apprentice collected bits of paper at college. Times change. Until the 60s, you needed a 5 year apprenticeship to work in an iron mongers. Unbelievable. It WAS the right way, because you were told it was the right way.

2) You don't need qualifications to be a plumber - says it all!

3) It was a £3k course at a proper established technical college, not a fly-by-night training company

4) I'm not emigrating (yet). Who would want to leave such a fantastic country, with such happy positive people! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Surely giving advice is a good and friendly thing to do.....what you don't get though is the skills to actually complete the job?
A big mistake that the DIY sheds make is to convince the punter that he can do the job, albeit with their products. Utter nonsense.
The most important part of any fee is the knowledge, experience and skill thats necessary to complete.......but try convincing the public of that.

John :)

Burnerman John

I notice you contribute on a number of forums, especially plumbing and cars, with well-founded , detailled advice.

I'd like to thank you and all other skilled and helpful people on these forums for their time, good-will and assistance

Best wishes

MW

Yes, gas is different, but most aspects of plumbing aren't rocket science, whatever anyone says.

Totally agree - It`s a trade that`s dead+ buried . Roofers/ roofline+ cladding fitters - bathroom fitters + every chancer going have stripped it of any little Kudos it might have had .

3 years day release got me my C+G and it`s as much use as paper with IZAL written on . :LOL: Un regulated apart from gas is the Brit way of all things half - arsed ;)

Burnerman John

I notice you contribute on a number of forums, especially plumbing and cars, with well-founded , detailled advice.

I'd like to thank you and all other skilled and helpful people on these forums for their time, good-will and assistance

Best wishes

MW

Well thank you, MW - quite a surprise, that!
I have to say, France is without doubt my favourite country, and I go there as often as I can.
John :D

@Nige F

It's not just GB that accepts unregulated work.

Until about five years ago , Germany was the heartland of apprenticeships, journeymen and trained artisans ( Meister ) and the rules were strict and strictly applied that if you had a garage/roofing business/plumbers etc, then you had to have a "Meister" when you had two or three employees ( or similar). Even shop-assistants had a two-year training-course specific to butcher/baker whatever.

Apart from people being upset about high prices, this brought all kinds of strange anomalies to the surface. If a guy wanted to start a business repairing computers, he had to hire a "Meister" electrician, who most likely knew nothing about computers but was a very expensive burden ( often fatal burden) to a small start-up.

Anyway, new legislation came in and swept away most of this trade protection. The result was that within a year many costs - and let's admit it - wages halved. Tilers dropped from E 50/hour to E 22, which dropped further when the Poles came in big numbers.

Nige, it's not an answer, but this is a zero-sum game . No money is being created, it just moves from the customers' pocket to the plumbers'pocket.

The more that moves, the greater the corresponding distress/happiness of the two parties.

I think the least-bad solution is regulation only of the dangerous bits.

I had the opportunity to fix Sir Bobby's downstairs toilet at 2am on one winters morning, approx. 10 years ago. And yes his coffee was good. He also tipped very well.

Andy

I dont see why anyone would want to have their downstairs toilet fixed at 2 am!

I would have told him on the phone to use the upstairs one and I would be round at a gentlemans hour of 11am the next morning.

In any case how could a plumber pop out to B&Q to buy a part at 2 am?

Tony

Not another embittered 5 year apprenticeship justifier. :rolleyes: Some people need years to learn a skill, as I imagine you did, others who are older with lots of life experience and practical skills can adapt these with the right training.

£175 @ 6 hours works out at £30 p.h. If you can't clear that sort of money in this area for instance, fitting 2 or 3 rads, then you are doing something wrong. Of course its not hour in hour out, day in day out. But still beats what I did before.

Tell me which aspect of plumbing takes years and years to learn, or which plumbing job needs to be repeated over and over again before it sinks in. Yes sometimes I do meet something above my experience, but knowing where to find the answer is important. Did your years of learning before you became profficient Mr Onlyfitideal boilers (Ideal - I hope not) mean that you are a slow learner?

It always makes me laugh when you read drivel like this above Rsole has posted!!! These CC/CCCs are clueless, we make a small fortune going round repairing the mess they leave behind them...............The poor unsuspecting British public think they are paying for a fully qualified, trained Plumber but end up with some useless w.nker, that just rips them off.

You can learn more about Plumbing from a DIY book that what they teach you on these mickey mouse courses and, these prats pay £6K+ for them.............. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Most of the CC/CCC are back working in ASDA since the down-turn or stuck at home waiting for the phone to ring!!!

i agree how can the guv let these companys de value are hard earned qualification. :( by allowing these lieing ****s to set up these 6 month/week courses

Most of the CC/CCC are back working in ASDA since the down-turn or stuck at home waiting for the phone to ring!!!

So, thats embittered 5 year apprentice justifier number 2 then. :rolleyes:

No real argument, just a load of insults. Moronic.

Its not just the short course suppliers that are churning out people to compete with almighty 'time-served' plumbers. Diyers are in on the act too. The sheds are full of products that make the majority of plumbing jobs easier for diyers, and yes, they get their knowledge on this site.

Plumbing might have been a labouriously learnt skill when wiping lead joints, bending sand-filled waste pipes, installing and jointing CI soils and drain pipes and making lead flashings from scratch. Them days are gone sunshine. Get over it. The processes/materials aren't that difficult any more, and the knowledge doesn't take 5 years to accumulate either. Unless you were remedial/special needs at school Delta T. Where you Delta T?

Times change, some people don't.

This is one CCC who ain't working at Asda. Done those sort of min. wage jobs, but unlike Delta T, I was capable of improving myself. Tough if we're snapping at your heels and cutting your over-inflated rates.

As for my lack of knowledge - I even understand heating systems - doh! Not rocket science either.

CCC I think you are attempting to wind people up , I doubt very much that you actually believe some of your own comment's , I hope not any way ! you could spend a life time in this industry & there should never be a day when you do not learn somrthing new !!

On the otherhand if you do actually believe your own comments than it is quite worrying ???

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back