Business people

1CANHELP

Having been in business many a year I have never come across another business professional to give away free advice to either the public and certainly not potential competitors.

Whether your self employed or working for a company, by telling DIY/cc enthusiasts how to do a job is completely ridiculous, I mean! you are taking work away from other self employed/businesses around the country or you're own boss.

How naive and stupid is that!

Giving advice on any forum should extend only to the very basics and should not include information on how to do a job or to correct a botched job or the materials required.

Many of you will in the future sit back and wonder why you've not been making the money you thought you would or wondering where the work has gone.

With all these short college courses and the internet, diy/cc enthusiasts are a plenty just mooching around sites like this for information.

Do yourself, you're business or boss a favour and keep the work coming into the professionals by keeping the advice to a minimum.

Sponsored Links
presumably this post is here to cover up the fact your advice has been pretty much useless so far.

I don't see any problem in giving out advice, I think the some of the enquiries we get here are from people who are not going to hire a tradesman anyway.

Providing the questions are fair and reasonable, and the poster doesn't talk about rip off plumbers, I'm happy to help where my experience is of relevance.

Sponsored Links
Having been in business many a year How naive and stupid is that!

Banking / financial advisor perhaps :idea: :LOL: .

Don`t know much about building then :LOL: Do you think " The Lump" is a B+W film about The Hunchback of Notre Dame ;)

You don`t get more naive/stupid/trolling than me - Can I count on you putting me on ignore :LOL:

Having been in business many a year I have never come across another business professional to give away free advice to either the public and certainly not potential competitors.

Well, I read recently that Bobby Robson, when Ipswich were playing Aberdeen in the UEFA cup, invited Alex Ferguson (Aberdeen's manager) to the ground for a drink and invited him to watch Ipswich train. He didn't do too badly helping others.

I've did an indentured apprenticeship and six years at college and many courses since and I learn something every day; some of it here. Admittedly sometimes it's about things to avoid or not to do but it's still useful knowledge.

Reap and sow.

I used to service the Late Great Sir Bobby's Boilers at his Ipswich & London houses, He was a fantastic bloke - always made a great cup of Coffee!! :LOL:

I have to agree with you on this one. why are we advising people on how to, how much, & giving CCCs advise on how to come into the industry, by the way is already flooded an give it five years an working the tesco or mcdonalds will be of more financial benefit.. just a thought....

With all these short college courses and the internet, diy/cc enthusiasts are a plenty just mooching around sites like this for information.

Thanks for the free advice mate. Much appreciated. When I eventually become a fully skilled plumber, Ill keep schtum! ;)

looks like you have fell for all the bullshi** too have you?

are attending college for 4 years? if not you will never be fully q plumber.

can i ask why did you decide to come into this industry?

Thats obvious isnt it........????

Everone knows we all earn 100K a year. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

My response when muppets say that is ' well if I was then I wouldnt be living in a terraced house with sh1t parking' :mad:

To undercut and annoy time-served plumbers. ;)

Seriously though, most plumbers say that plumbing is difficult, needs years of experience, and there's no money in it. Wrong, wrong and wrong again. They're only trying to protect their livelihoods from new entrants, if they were honest with themself.

My circumstances were that I worked at the docks in Portbury near Bristol, for one of the car import handling companies, where Corsas come in from the Spanish Opel factory. I would get up at 6am and start work at 7.30 am. Finish at 4.30pm (ish) home at 6pm. For this I would take home the princely sum of £175.

I did a 3 month C&G course, and with my experience of house renovations and car restoration to help me, I set up as self employed. I advertised cheaply and wisely, and use other marketing. I look after my customers which gets lots of repeats/word of mouth.

Now remembering I was on £175 take home for a 45 hour week in all winds and weathers in all weathers, I can net that much for a 6 hour day. So 45 hours employed or 6 hours as a self-employed plumber for the same money. Hmmm, tough choice.

Even on a slow week, I can often net double what I was when self eployed. Before you ask, yes I have factored in costs and time spent doing accounts/quotes/fetching supplies, etc, etc.

I don't blame all the plumbers for wanting to protect their trade from newcomers. Yes, gas is different, but most aspects of plumbing aren't rocket science, whatever anyone says.

Hey BoilerMan2,

I had the opportunity to fix Sir Bobby's downstairs toilet at 2am on one winters morning, approx. 10 years ago. And yes his coffee was good. He also tipped very well.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back