Business people

The only person who I hope is wound up about my post is Delta T. Hopefully. But as someone who litters his post with playground insults instead of considered arguments, I should think that many basic aspects of life leave him out of his depth.

Yes, we're all still learning, and as a more recent entrant to the trade than some on here, I have even more learning to do. Howerver, I estimate that over eighty percent of plumbing jobs are fairly routine, and don't require years of experience to complete successfully.

Sponsored Links
I agree that 80% of plumbing jobs are pretty routine and can be done by someone with little training or experience.

However, the remaining 20% are still a sizeable proportion and some of those need considerable skill to resolve.

But thats considering individual jobs. If a more involved installation is considered then many aspects of that would be beyond a CCC.

I had a trainee who had taken an NVQ2 and was with me for practical training. I left him wth a combi on the wall and five pipes coming out of the floor. His task was to work out how to connect the pipes to the boiler!

He called me three hours later to say that he had made no progress at all ! He said he thought it was time to take a step back. He never came out with me again and I think that he has now left plumbing!

Tony

These short course aren't new. There was a college funded by the then Government (Thatcher's) in Perivale West London back in the early 80s knocking out tradesman by the dozen on 6 month courses.
I cant remember the name of the scheme it was, train for this, train for that something or other.
A little before that the big boys, Wimpy's, Try's, Taylor Woodrow had their own training centers 4-5years before you left. The funding was removed by Maggie and they shut.

Well, if you think I'm a Moron & you know everything, come & work for us for a while & we'll see how good you are!!

You can be part of a two man kru that do a combi & six rads in a day, we'll see if you can keep up with 'real' Plumbers that have an apprenticeship under their belt....................Believe me, you'd still be fan..ing around with your mickey mouse course notes, while your mate has the job half done.
Or
We could put you on a commercial heating job, welding 65mm pipes. All our time-served guys can Weld, they learn it doing their apprenticeship.

Or
Maybe you can join our Leadworking squad, we've ongoing contracts on Scottish Castles, do you think you could do Leadwork to a high standard ?

Or
What about a boiler Service Engineer, have you got all your ACS & can you repair combis??

Times may change but 'real' Plumbers still require a high level of skills, that can't be learned on some mickey mouse course that you wasted your money on!!

Useless CC/CCC like you would not last a day working for a company like ours, that's why I, along with the majority of other Master Plumbers in the UK will never employ CC/CCCs. So so spout your pearls of wisdom to others that are willing to spend a fortune on a course that will give you no more knowledge of our trade than a DIY book!!

Sponsored Links
Oh & by the way, I'm not bitter. Why would I be bitter?? I'm very, very lucky. I left Skool at 16, did my apprenticeship with some of the best tradesmen in the City, that passed on 100s of years of knowledge & skills. Knowledge & skill they learned from their journeymen.

I have always worked as a Plumber never done anything else, I employ highly skilled time-served Plumbers & we train apprentices that add to the ranks of these guys. I have been for the last 30 years a Master Plumber & enjoyed the fruits of my labour.

So, to read the drivel of some unskilled w.nker that's on £140/week & think he knows more than me is a joke!!!.....................Get a life son & get yourself down to Tesco, they are looking for guys for the Grave Yard shift........... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Hmmm, Just seen this thread.

Won't comment on the plumber side but i have to agree with the original OP.

I have seen posts from gas qualified lads giving out what amounts to gas related answers or as near as dammit.

We work in a closed industry. We have all paid out (and continue to) money to obtain/maintain our registrations. Why give away potential work. I know there are some who will always do their own gas work, competant or not......but why help em?

If it involves safety devices and or gas related parts i don't offer advice. Perhaps the answer maybe to insist that any gas related questions are posed in the CC........if it can't be posted (due to no gasafe reg) then we don't answer it

I just wrote a long response but then deleted it; nobody needs to know my 35 years in plumbing and heating.

All I will say is advice never made people wise or good at what they do, that comes from the person who asks; if it is in them they will do the job well, if they are a chancer they will always be a chancer.

You could tattoo the Viper book, the GSIUR and the IOP handbook onto their arses, they will always be chancers.

Do the job to the best of you ability and don't make the same mistake twice - and you will make mistakes. I learned because I asked and because I listened and because I hate making mistakes twice.

A doctor could tell you about an operation, that doesn't mean you can do it.

I've just spent three years listening to a guy with far more accreditations and qualifications than I'll ever have or need but he was useless at the job, his forte was passing exams, I think the day job was only to pay for the courses.

Let the idiot poster's comment ricochet off your head Delta_T. I do take my hat off to you however as I do feel some guilt not taking an apprentice on; I just wouldn't like the responsibility or having to exercise such patience.

Delta T - I take that your reply is a e-version of the Glasgow Kiss ;)

If it involves safety devices and or gas related parts i don't offer advice. Perhaps the answer maybe to insist that any gas related questions are posed in the CC........if it can't be posted (due to no gasafe reg) then we don't answer it

Perhaps you are not aware but the forum rules already prohibit giving advice on gas related DIY.

Thats not just gas carying components but the gas train and related safety devices like APS, PCBs with gas adjustments and o/h stats.

The dividing line is that the combustion door should never be opened by a DIyer.

Tony

Tony,

I am aware that forum rules preclude gas work related advice.

I just think we as a forum are too quick with 'it's a fan or aps issue'. Whilst no advice on changing may have been given it's a high probability that as this is a DIY site then the OP is going to 'have a go'.

As i said, i and everyone else on here has paid a lot of money out to get/maintain their registrations. There is no doubt that we are giving money away on occassion to some who with that little knowledge then go out and diy it.

That said i have learnt a huge amount from other gas reg posters on this and the CC site but then i have already paid for the privaledge of being able to listen to it via my acs, water regs, g3, part P part L etc etc etc

@powell30

If we leave the question of regulated gas-work to one side, you are undoubtedly correct that DIY forums do allow some people to do jobs (electrical/building/car ) that they could not otherwise do and this does take money out of the pot available to tradesmen.

Having established this, what is your interest in visiting these open forums at all, as you seem to be saying that it wastes your money advising DIYers ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back