Cable conduit

gjh

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of replastering a number of walls in my house. I have no problems with the existing electrics and intended to simply put new board up over the existing wires and skim it as it was previously. I have checked in my DIY book and it states that electric cables need no further protection providing that they are run either vertically or horizontally from a socket or within 150mm of a corner.

Consequently I have been happily reclipping the existing cables to the walls in nice straight lines and putting up plasterboard or wet plastering over them [yes I have been fitting new sockets and switches myself but as it is like for like then this is ok, i think?]. But now I have been told that according to the regs ALL concealed wires need to be protected by metal conduit [I think thats what its called, the pressed metal sheets that you pin to the walls over the cables].

Is this the case? Do I need to redo all my plastering [It took me enough practice to learn to plaster so I really dont want to do it again!].

Sponsored Links
its called capping, and its not needed if cables run horzonatally, or vertically from fittings, or within 150mm of a corner, or are more than 50mm deep in the wall, but it wouldn't hurt to fit it anyway in the future when you fit cables, but no need to pull your plaster off to fit it now

taking about capping i can't find any metal capping its now just plastic stuff that you can drill thro :eek:

Capping is really only intended to protect the cables from damage while plastering: it does not provide protection from penetrating nails, screws or drilling etc.

Sponsored Links
I looked in B & Q to buy this stuff and the metal channel they sell does not have holes in it for pinning to the studs - not very handy. I bought some section alu and strap steal instead.

I am forever putting 2" screws and pins into the walls for pictures and things - the idea of drilling straight into a power cable makes me think twice about 'putting up shelves. I purchases a metal and elec detector device looks a bit like a black plastic staple gun for £16 - but it's almost hopeless.

on most electric drills the handle is plastic anyway so you won't get a shock if you go though a cable.

just a bit of a bang a tripped fuse or breaker and a bit of repair work to do ;)

Any decent hardware or builders / electrical supplier will stock it. Hence Q & B........

Mmmm. I wish I had known about steel capping before I used an angle grinder then hammer and chisel to gouge a 3cm deep channel in a concrete floor in order to put a steel conduit in.

It took me hours!
52_52.gif

I presume steel capping is still acceptable in place of steel conduit if you are <50mm deep in a floor?

MOL.
coffee.gif

securespark said:
Capping is really only intended to protect the cables from damage while plastering: it does not provide protection from penetrating nails, screws or drilling etc.

I always thought it was to protect the pvc cable from the acidic effects of the plaster :rolleyes:
And it will stop "Drawing pins"

If you are going to all that trouble, then a conduit is better as the cable can be re-threaded after you have spiked it. Generally capping can't be re-used unless you are very lucky. Modern PVC cable has no problems with modern plaster - old rubber cables could not be plastered in, but that should not be an issue nowadays. (and I dont think lime mortar is as popular as it once was either!)

What has already been plastered in will be fine however.
regards M.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back