Cable size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Possibly one that the answer will be 'get an electrician in'

but....

My wife would like to put the tumble dryer in the shed. It's only 10m from the house, but the nearest plug (outside) is 18m away, or I can connect directly to the [RCD'd] garage, which with all the ups and downs of hiding the cable, would possibly be up to a length of about 30m.

So....all existing wires are 2.5mm three core outside. But is the extra 18m too far for a dryer on 2.5mm? Do I need to go all out for 4mm, all the way back to the garage?

it's not connecting directly to the electrics. It will terminate into a plug, plugged into the wall (basically it's just a long extension cord, albeit up to 30m long). There'll be no heavier load on it than a tumble dryer (although I realise that's quite a heavy load)

many thanks

Sponsored Links
2.5mm² cable is suitable for a single 13A load at any of those distances, although shorter is always better.
The cable must be properly installed and be suitable for use outside.
Connecting to a plug doesn't change anything.

Is it not possible to connect to the house as that's much nearer?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back