cables near gas pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
today i seen a 10mm Earth tie-wrapped to main gas pipe, is this aloud? i thought all electric cables had to be min 25mm away from gas pipes?

Sponsored Links
yeah
and it also goes into top of the outside WP box to connect to it, shouldnt it go in underneath to keep IP rating?

earth cables must be exempt from this rule as they are connected directly to the gas pipe, "ordinary" cables should be a minimum of 25mm apart to avoid arcing if the insulation is broken, an earth cable cannot arc to the gas pipe if it is connected to it.

Sponsored Links
What about earth cable and gas pipe going straight into top of outside WP enclosure, wouldnt it be better if they went into bottom keeping the top waterproof? Is there a regulation on this?

Oh right.

It doesn't really matter then.

It's not waterproof, so any water that gets in the top will just drip out the bottom.

Weather resistant maybe, but not waterproof.

It would be normal to use the bottom entry on an electric meter box.

As for the tie-wrapping, I believe that is non-compliant, but I have not yet found the reg. I'm sure there is a reg that says something like,

"cables must be supported by independent means..."

Rob?

Earth and pipe work should only enter the gas meter box from the approved bottom 'knock out'.

Earth cables should also not enter a cavity gas meter box through the back internal 'hole' that the gas pipe goes through.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back