Callout charge

Where is the original poster now?Whacking a gas valve with a hammer is , madness .Pay a corgi engineer to renew the valve ,for your own family , and your neighobour:s family safety.

Sponsored Links
Mikeyboy said:
Whacking a gas valve with a hammer is , madness.

Often works though although a tap with a small hammer is preferable to a full swing with a 5lb sledge hammer.

Do some not listen or read forums properly,

I never said I whacked the valve with a hammer.

I have not said I was not going to pay him I only asked is £70 + vat the going rate for this job in Scotland.

Under the law I’m not supposed to change gas valves.

No price was discussed before hand (Does this make him a bad engineer).

Has the problem been diagnosed properly?
I do not know.
The engineer originally said it was not the gas valve because the pilot light was on!!!
But he was happy enough for me to buy the new part.
I was originally advised to change the thermal coupler on the forum,
How much do I owe for this wrong diagnose.

Could the racist please behave?

Agile said:
We charge a fixed price diagnostic fee of £84 and always advise the client of this before we go out.

He came and diagnosed the fault and now it seems you dont want to pay him?

Are you a cowboy customer?

Tony

To me £84 for a diagnostic fee is extorsion if that where me i cou;ld diagnose 90% of faults in 15 mins and so can all other competant gas engineers £35 is my fee spot the cowboy gas engineer roughs

Sponsored Links
anyway what is happining to the boiler i will tell you for FREE................

No price was discussed before hand (Does this make him a bad engineer).

You should have asked him! If a court would not declare it "unreasonable", you have a contract.
As you will have read, others charge more than £70.
It would be common to change a thermocouple as part of diagnosing a faulty gas valve.

B.O.B DOLE said:
Agile said:
We charge a fixed price diagnostic fee of £84 and always advise the client of this before we go out.

He came and diagnosed the fault and now it seems you dont want to pay him?

Are you a cowboy customer?

Tony

To me £84 for a diagnostic fee is extorsion if that where me i cou;ld diagnose 90% of faults in 15 mins and so can all other competant gas engineers £35 is my fee spot the cowboy gas engineer roughs

.....get what you pay for.

On 10 Dec 2005, B.O.B. Dole posted here:-

"""worcester 24cdi ch flashing slow what does it say in the book for this has i have lost mine. Once reconnected to gas supply what is the best way to purge these boilers."""

That does not sound much like someone you would rush to call to your boiler even if he charges £35!

Our £84 diagnostic charge is a fixed price however long it takes. It includes fixing it in most cases but obviously parts are extra at standard retail prices. This applies even if a second visit is required to bring parts and includes a basic service. All repairs are guaranteed.

Tony

Agile said:
On 10 Dec 2005, B.O.B. Dole posted here:-

"""worcester 24cdi ch flashing slow what does it say in the book for this has i have lost mine. Once reconnected to gas supply what is the best way to purge these boilers."""

That does not sound much like someone you would rush to call to your boiler even if he charges £35!

Our £84 diagnostic charge is a fixed price however long it takes. It includes fixing it in most cases but obviously parts are extra at standard retail prices. This applies even if a second visit is required to bring parts and includes a basic service. All repairs are guaranteed.

Tony

AGILE HAS YOU KNOW ....NOW AND AGAIN I POST TEASERS TO KEEP YOU LOT ON YOUR TOE,S SORRY FOR THE CAPS BUT MY KEYBOARD IS NACKERED

In an English Court of Law, a complainant must prove that he's incurred a loss.

If the complainant's case is that the defendent asked him to diagnose a fault on his heating system, but has no paperwork to substantiate this allegation then there will be no case to answer.

I'd recommend that all plumbers ask their customers to sign a form before commencing diagnosis/work, otherwise they lay themselves open to the customer denying all knowledge of the allegation, or specifying that a different amount was agreed. Providing detailed written quotes and getting customers to sign contracts would have the additional benefit of enhancing the image of the profession. A judge is unlikely to know what the "going rate" for a job is, nor care. It's a legal requirement that both parties seek an amicable compromise. In the situation that a plumber's offered an opinion in the absence of a contract, the judge would at best agree with the defendent's offer of a reasonable sum.

jdey said:
If you're bothered with cowboy customers then get them to sign a form acknowledging the cost before starting the work. Genuine businesses offer quotes & invoices.
Not all genuine businesses operate the way that you seem to expect.

For example, I decline to do any business with the kind of customer that you so clearly are.

And that's my loss, I guess? ;)

I always insist on paperwork, and the Brokeback mountain dudes always ride off in to the sunset.

jdey said:
In an English Court of Law, a complainant must prove that he's incurred a loss.
That is not a true statement. I think you don't know very much about contract law, or the civil court.

jdey said:
If the complainant's case is that the defendent asked him to diagnose a fault on his heating system, but has no paperwork to substantiate this allegation then there will be no case to answer.
That is not a true statement. If there was a contract, and work was done, then the court will order that the tradesman be paid. A verbal contract is perfectly valid, and in plumbing and heating work there is rarely a written one. A customer may attempt to lie, but that act would weave the first thread of tangled web...

jdey said:
I'd recommend that all plumbers ask their customers to sign a form before commencing diagnosis/work, otherwise they lay themselves open to the customer denying all knowledge of the allegation, or specifying that a different amount was agreed.
I think I will ignore your recommendation, because I have customers clamouring for my services and cannot afford the time that would be spent writing everthing down first.

jdey said:
Providing detailed written quotes and getting customers to sign contracts would have the additional benefit of enhancing the image of the profession.
Your opinion is noted, although it's of gravely questionable value.

jdey said:
A judge is unlikely to know what the "going rate" for a job is
Perhaps...

jdey said:
...nor care.
He/she will certainly care, because without that knowledge he/she could not determine a "reasonable" charge.

jdey said:
It's a legal requirement that both parties seek an amicable compromise.
No it isn't. They can be as unamicable and hostile as they like, as long as they are not in contempt of court.

jdey said:
In the situation that a plumber's offered an opinion in the absence of a contract, the judge would at best agree with the defendent's offer of a reasonable sum.
No he/she wouldn't.

jdey said:
Softus said:
For example, I decline to do any business with the kind of customer that you so clearly are.
And that's my loss, I guess? icon_wink.gif
I have no idea - only you can possibly know that. My point was that I steer well clear of pratts who think that them insisting on something has any effect on how I run my business. If you are one of those pratts, then good luck to you, but I was making you aware that there's another world that operates independently of yours, and it's an equally valid one.

The way the legal system works is that you'd have to file a case, and the defendent has to file a defence. If his defence is that he's never heard of you, and you've got no paperwork, then the case won't proceed.

If you're working on an hourly basis, then it's hard to imagine that simply writing down what the rate is, and getting a customer to sign it is too much effort.

I don't much about you either, Softus, but I know that there's plenty of cowboys in your trade who'll quote a rate of £40 per hour, say, on the phone, and then claim that they said per half an hour or that the rate was higher, when they present the invoice. I've told guys like that to sue me before, also those guys who don't have the parts or say that the parts are only obtainable in a store the other side of town. Not to mention those that **** in the water tank, or claim that they've replaced parts which they haven't. If you wish the general public to continue to have these views of your trade then by all means carry on. I won't be employing you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back