Callout charge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can you please help?

Recently I called out a central heating engineer to look at my combi boiler
(I phoned on the Thursday and he arrange to come out the following Tuesday at 08:30am). He left after 45 mins without fixing the boiler (the gas value was suspected as being the problem). I got quoted over £200 for a new gas value and decided this was a bit much for a 15-year-old boiler. The following day I tried the old hammer technique and the boiler has been working okay ever since. (stuck gas value).

Today I received a bill of £85 from the engineer,
Does this sound okay?

Thanks,

Scott.

Sponsored Links
If he diagnosed the problem then he is entitled to payment. If you chose not to take him up on his quote for a repair then that is up to you.

£85 sounds like a call out fee to me.

If you're not particularly moral then if you didn't sign anything then it's his word against yours, and he's unlikely to sue for such a small sum, and with the reputation the trade has, he's unlikely to win.

If you are more moral then he's spent 45 minutes of his time and diagnosed your problem. The problem is that if you start to negotiate then you're acknowledging that he's provided a service.

From my personal point of view, I tend to treat people as I find them. If he mentioned his fee before arriving, then I'd pay it. If he didn't then I wouldn't.
If he sues you, then lodge a defence that you weren't told about the fee but that you're willing to pay a reasonable sum e.g. £40 as a compromise.

We charge a fixed price diagnostic fee of £84 and always advise the client of this before we go out.

He came and diagnosed the fault and now it seems you dont want to pay him?

Are you a cowboy customer?

Tony

Sponsored Links
If you're bothered with cowboy customers then get them to sign a form acknowledging the cost before starting the work. Genuine businesses offer quotes & invoices.

I've checked with my wife the bill is,
£25 callout
£45 diagnose
+ vat.

I did the diagnose myself (I told him the problem before he started any work). He originally said it was not the valve as the pilot light was okay.
But later as he could not find anything wrong he went for the valve.

The diagnose has not been confirmed as the gas valve.

Scott

""I did the diagnose myself "".

In that case one wonders why you called him?

Surely you dont disagree that when you called him and he came as requested and diagnosed the fault that you should not pay him?

The Scots have a reputation for meanness!

So when, not if, it sticks again, you'll hammer it again, until you'll have to call someone else, whom you'll also try to cheat?

seems u r trying to drum up support for not paying him. u wont find it here.
so is he suppost to dignose faults for free then? so far its cost him money to come out to ur boiler at ur request and work on it for you.
he/none of us are charities

I did the diagnose myself (I told him the problem before he started any work). He originally said it was not the valve as the pilot light was okay.
But later as he could not find anything wrong he went for the valve.

The diagnose has not been confirmed as the gas valve.

It has been diagnosed? it hasn't been diagnosed? which one? all we know so far is your preferred method of dealing with the situation is to hit the boiler with a hammer!

I agree with all the above comments. Just pay the man and be proud that you have done the right thing.
If you want this sort of work done for free then get yourself pregnant and get a flat from the local council, they will happily fix your boiler for nothing.
I know it hurts but just pay up !!!

scott1968 said:
Can you please help?

Recently I called out a central heating engineer to look at my combi boiler
(I phoned on the Thursday and he arrange to come out the following Tuesday at 08:30am). He left after 45 mins without fixing the boiler (the gas value was suspected as being the problem). I got quoted over £200 for a new gas value and decided this was a bit much for a 15-year-old boiler. The following day I tried the old hammer technique and the boiler has been working okay ever since. (stuck gas value).

Today I received a bill of £85 from the engineer,
Does this sound okay?

Thanks,

Scott.
Yes, you`re welcome.

Yep, it costs us money to be able to work or your boiler so we charge you to work on your boiler, its called economics

scott said:
I called out a central heating engineer
Presumably you first asked him what his charges would be. If his charge is in line with what you were told, what's the problem?

he is a do it himself customer, dont like paying a pro cos he thinks he can do it better

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back