Can a "block" be put on an oil tank to prevent use?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My friend has a brand new oil tank with 900 litres of oil that she cannot use, because according to an "engineer" there is a "block" on it? What is a "block" and can a non-engineer remove it - and if so, how exactly. She has 4 kids and a freezing house yet 900 litres of oil she cannot use because of this "block", so any help greatly appreciated.

She has tried for 6 weeks to get a heating engineer through her Housing Association but nothing has been done, so now she is desperate to get her heating functional.

Sponsored Links
New one on me. Might have a valve turned off on the tank, or the fire valve may be turned off, that's about all I can think of

could it an administering block as in
you cannot use the oil until its paid for 'systems/safety checked or something along those lines

Sponsored Links
Sounds about right for the outsourced private contractors HA's use.

Many thanks for all replies, heating now working. It was a simple case of turning valves

So how did it get to that situation of being turned off?

Have you paid for the oil?

Sometimes there is a valve with a padlock that can be used to lock it in the off position.

Tony

The oil was fully paid for - it was a new tank installed as last one was leaking

But how had it been turned off?

Or did the installers never turn it on?

Tony

Never turned on and they had placed a plastic "cap" on the line that had to be removed to allow the oil to run through the pipe

You would have thought they would have connected it and tested for leaks!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back