Can anyone give me an idea on how I could get a staircase up to the loft without a dormer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
My mums house has a loft and we have an access ladder but she can't really use it as she is old. Wondering if anyone can provide any ideas on getting a staircase to the loft but without needing a dormer (If possible).

I have attached pictures.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20240324_110902.jpg
    20240324_110902.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 78
  • 20240324_110819.jpg
    20240324_110819.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 77
  • 20240324_110757.jpg
    20240324_110757.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 68
  • 20240324_110735.jpg
    20240324_110735.jpg
    378 KB · Views: 64
Sponsored Links
I think you would struggle for headroom in there given that the roll of Rockwool is around 4ft tall and you look like you have 18" or so above that but that is before you strengthen the floor by fitting deeper joists. Unless your elderly Mother needs to get into the loft then i would get someone who is more able to do what you want in terms of using it for storage.

Assuming the downstairs rooms are around the same height as the upstairs you're probably looking at fitting a staircase that starts where that towel hangs over the bannister and mimics what the downstairs case does when it comes up, with a turn, probably tw don't comes back on itself and enters the loft at 90 degrees to present

If ma struggles using that ladder she won't take kindly to a spiral or space saver and a usable case for her will probably clown that window and any sense of open was in the upstairs hall, but anything can be made possible with time and money

Assuming the downstairs rooms are around the same height as the upstairs you're probably looking at fitting a staircase that starts where that towel hangs over the bannister and mimics what the downstairs case does when it comes up, with a turn, probably tw don't comes back on itself and enters the loft at 90 degrees to present

If ma struggles using that ladder she won't take kindly to a spiral or space saver and a usable case for her will probably clown that window and any sense of open was in the upstairs hall, but anything can be made possible with time and money
Having spoken to her, she doesn't mind the fold out stair case, but she would rather it be less steep and possibly with a bannister if those exist

Sponsored Links
Sounds like more of an engineering job then to just make a longer, more meaty staircase and rail, perhaps garage door style springs to assist with raising and lowering, or if she could still get on with a ladder style access, electric ones exist with handrails..

Once you fit a permanent staircase in the eyes of Building Control (and when you come to sell) it will be seen as an illegal loft conversion. Technically you would may be breaching your house insurance conditions too. Google 'retractable stairs UK' there are few choices that may suit.

Why does your old mother need to go up into her loft?
I can see that it's empty, does she need to use the space for storage stuff that she cannot store elsewhere more accessable?

My mother in law has finally given up going up there, now she will wait until one of us young uns are around so we can nip up there.

Why does your old mother need to go up into her loft?
I can see that it's empty, does she need to use the space for storage stuff that she cannot store elsewhere more accessable?

My mother in law has finally given up going up there, now she will wait until one of us young uns are around so we can nip up there.
I say old, she isn't drastically old like. Just not able to climb steep loft ladders. Main reason is storage, as the loft is a good size she would like to utilise it if she can. She can get up just now down as its steep haha

In the late 80s, by dad built a loft staircase by utilising a built-in wardrobe in the box bredroom. Just cut a hole in the ceiling and made some stairs. Pretty unique - never seen anything like it since. It looked like normal wardrobe, but contained this magic mini staircase! Obviously would be totally against modern best practice and building regulations etc.

Once you fit a permanent staircase in the eyes of Building Control (and when you come to sell) it will be seen as an illegal loft conversion. Technically you would may be breaching your house insurance conditions too. Google 'retractable stairs UK' there are few choices that may suit.
Not unless it’s intended for use as an occupied room. Storage with a stairs is fine.

Only if the loft is not converted, surely?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back