Can anyone give me an idea on how I could get a staircase up to the loft without a dormer?

In the late 80s, by dad built a loft staircase by utilising a built-in wardrobe in the box bredroom. Just cut a hole in the ceiling and made some stairs. Pretty unique - never seen anything like it since. It looked like normal wardrobe, but contained this magic mini staircase! Obviously would be totally against modern best practice and building regulations etc.

Ah, The 80s! When we still had freedom, and self reliant people could use their ingenuity and achieve things without having to have a bit of paper approved by jobsworths. Young people are now frightened of their own shadows.

Sponsored Links
Sold my last property with stairs to loft, lined, insulated, carpeted, separate boiler room .
Buyers solicitors had no problem with it being described as a loft room for access to boiler room.
Estate agents were happy to call it a loft room.
Over 40square metres .

Sold my last property with stairs to loft, lined, insulated, carpeted, separate boiler room .
Buyers solicitors had no problem with it being described as a loft room for access to boiler room.
Estate agents were happy to call it a loft room.
Over 40square metres .
Insurers, solicitors and the law, may have a different view. Estate agents could not give a chuff who dies up there.

Similar to my childhood's cupboard-stairs... in 2021, I sold my own house. Earlier that year, I had the loft insulated and plasterboard-lined. The pull-down ladder was just left, as you would expect for a storage area. But the room was absolutely 'finished', and I used it as a home office, and nice clean storage. No-one involved in the buying process batted an eyelid. I was honest throughout and told them it wasn't technically a bedroom, nor should it be used as one.

Sponsored Links
Can you move the hatch to somewhere else that allows you to have a narrow stairs alongside a wall?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back