Can anyone tell me what this bit circled in red is called? Gas Meter leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
upload_2018-9-23_15-43-40.png

Hi and thank you in advance, we had a new boiler installed Thursday and discovered we had a leak on the gas meter Sunday - meter was hissing and smelled strongly of gas - turns out the thing circled in red is missing a bung or cap - can anyone tell me what the thing is called please? Rang emergency gas leak number (as advised by the Central Heating Installers) who came out and sorted it however the Central Heating Installation boss man who did eventually come out, whilst shocked it had been left open did not think it was as big a deal as we do. Luckily the meter is on the outside of our house. They are accredited installers of Worcester Bosch and obviously Gas Safe, he was saying we don;t know if his fitter had had a bad day etc and other ridiculous excuses rather than just saying hands up it is a cock up. Not sure how serious a breach this actually is, the man from Gas emergency service couldn;t believe it had been left off. We know humans make errors etc but it was the Company's lack of customer care which has really irritated as they initially said it was not them at fault and did not take us seriously, just wondering how big an error this is and if we should take the matter further, the boss man did say about knocking some off the bill- as if this would help, we were happy to pay for a decent job so getting somthing knocked off really doesn;t sway us to not complain Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Yes it is all fixed now by the emergency gas man via that number but just wondering how serious an error for it to be left like this it is? Thanks

Sponsored Links
I would take the reduction in bill. What will a complaint achieve? Human error happens.

It is serious, but as you said, humans make mistakes. I doubt the emergency man was that surprised, unless he only started last week ;)

We only have your word on how the company managed it, so there's not much to be advised on that front.

An abject apology, bottle of wine and promise of a bo||ocking for the engineer is probably all that can be expected.

Being accredited installers of Worshitter Bodge means nothing more than they install a lot of overpriced average quality boilers - it's no guarantee of the quality of their work. Yes, it is a serious issue, and if you really feel like it you could fill out the forms for a RIDDOR report, backed up by the emergency service provider's paperwork, or you could shrug your shoulders and move on. Depends how much of a fuss you want to make really.

No RIDDOR, Ok thanks I'll wait till the paperwork comes through. The owner of the company did tell us Gas Safe could inspect it and that info would be on our paperwork - I'll look out for that info.

No RIDDOR, Ok thanks I'll wait till the paperwork comes through. The owner of the company did tell us Gas Safe could inspect it and that info would be on our paperwork - I'll look out for that info.

That sounds reasonable, and shows he has enough confidence in the rest of the job.

I'd be more annoyed about having a Worcester installed :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:[/QUOTE

:eek::eek::eek::eek: I'm not listening - having a leak has been stressful enough without twitching about my boiler choice :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Ok thanks for advice, I shall sleep on it and see how irritated I feel in the morning, seems you can't get a decent job done anywhere nowadays. Does that little valve thing have a special name at all and who issues a RIDDOR - the boiler boss or the emergency gas people? Thanks again :)

Its a pressure test point for the meter.

Anyone who has worked with gas for long enough will have lost, broken or forgotten one at some point. Its how the matter is handled that's key.

Friday I worked late on a site to give myself an easier week this week, but, forgot to lock one of the access points to the build. So, I phoned the main contractor and apologised, but thought it better to take a ribbing when I return next week, than to risk the other trades losing materials and tools over the weekend; or have a 2.5 hour round trip to lock it myself. He went round and did the honours and thanked me for my candour.

Cadent should have done a RIDDOR as they attended. But it a statistic gathering tool more than anything.

A Gas Safe inspection with it being mentioned to the inspector will be a fair next step. It will get logged against the engineer and the company who will be risk assessed and possibly inspected more frequently for a while.

Thank you very much for replying / help, it is indeed the customer service aspect rather than human error that irked me. Hope you don't get too much Pi** taken :) a bit of common sense and care goes a long way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back